What do you think about the Larceny charge for the woman who wanted her kids to go to a better school district?

I was sitting with my boo (yay!! im finally backin da game!!!!) and we were talking about the issue with the woman in Ohio who used her father's address to bus her kids to the 'better'school back in January. now you another mom was arrested for the same thing recently. now i'm not sure if this has been discussed but it's really been sitting on my mind tonight when I learned that the second young lady was charged with Conspiracy to commit larceny and Grand larceny. Really? a Felony? i'm just blown away. I can't help but notice that these two women are black. Now there are the two that has made national news. so i have a few questions:

1. Have you all heard of this locally?
2. have you heard of it with any other race?
3. Am i the only one shocked at the charges?
4. What is the Larceny charge for?
help me ladies!!! this is really on my mind!!!

ssnelson26

Asked by ssnelson26 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's already being discussed a few questions down.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/822040/NO_CHILD_LEFT_BEHIND

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• well my question is why didn't they just move to be included in the better school district|? instead of lying. and to answer question #2 i suppose i would need to know the race of the person you're talking about in your question. i think that they should be punished. that is not fair to the kids who live in the school district.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• LARCENY????? how is that??? fraud maybe but larceny??? I dont get it ... havent seen anything on it yet..
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Crazy. I have heard of this in my town. A family said their address was the father's office so that the son could attend HS in another town. Some asshole turned them in. The only thing that happened is that they could not attend that school anymore. Now they rent a cheap apartment there. Still cheaper that private school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• To answer your questions though:

1. Have you all heard of this locally?  No. 
    2. have you heard of it with any other race? What sort of race are you talking about?  I have no idea what ethnicity the people involved are
    3. Am i the only one shocked at the charges?  No, I think there are a few others that think as you do (not myself). 
    4. What is the Larceny charge for?  I don't know.  I thought larceny was the taking of something that can be possessed (like an item), not a service. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The punishment seems a little harsh.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• @QuinnMae t hank u!!!!!
    ssnelson26

Comment by ssnelson26 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• They took away "school of choice" within our district, which I didn't even know they could do!! But the way the laws are written, if you live within the district, the school can assign you to whatever school they want you at even if you are willing to transport your own child. However, if you live outside that district, but in the same county, you can put your child in whatever school you want but have to transport.

A TON of parents I know have started using other peoples' addresses to get their kids in better schools or even just to keep them in the school they have always attended. It is sad that they resort to criminal prosecution of people who don't want their kids in shitty schools rather than raising the bar for the schools that people are pulling their kids away from! I personally teach in the district and home school at night because of where my children would be sent if I didn't lie!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011