• In the Spotlight:

Having a hard time coming up with nutritional meals for a 1 year old that are easy and quick to make.

My son is very impatient about his food, so I like to make things for him that are fast. He is still eating baby cereal for most meals, but I want to give him "real" foods too. He has had rice, beans, grilled cheese, chicken, turkey, all manner of mashed veggies, mac and cheese, toast with all manner of toppings, bagels, eggs, crackers, cookies, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now. Can you suggest good-for-you meals for little munchers? He LOVES to eat and is willing to try pretty much anything. Thanks!!

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can freeze foods and then just microwave them so you always have a variety ready.

I used to take meals like spaghetti and add broccoli and other steamed veggies to make it a meal for my dd. I would freeze it in little snack size bags to have ready for her.

you can pre cook sweet potatos, chicken and many other things to make meals for him.

You can also put the mashed veggies in ice cube trays. once they are frozen pop them out and put thm in baggies. You can pull out a cube or 2 to microwave so he can have variety at the meals. Kids also like frozen peas straight from the bag. It takes them awhile to be able to pick them up and get them in theri mouth. It may give you some time to get food ready if he is messing with his peas.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You can just give him puffs or a banana to keep him busy while you're making dinner & then just give him whatever you have. My 1 year old hasn't had baby food since she was 9 months though.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 12:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I used to just give my kids a sampler of stuff. A couple crackers, a little cheese and some steamed veggies (soft so easy to eat and not a choking hazard) a little cut up fruit. I found that sampling a little made them more interested. Most of the time, I'd just chop up into more manageable pieces whatever we were eating. Chicken w/ beans and rice - just smaller portions etc.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 12:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've also just fed my boys what I'm eating...If its a situation such as lunch (I rarely eat lunch) and I'm not making something for myself I stick to the easy stuff...mac & cheese with veggies and/or chicken mixed in (my boys favorite is broccoli and boilded chicken breast) or sandwiches...something fairly quick, but with atleast 3 food groups. Sampling of healthy treats is good too...my boys love fruit, cheese and crackers on a plate :)
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 12:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• make the foods in bulk while is is sleeping or whenever you get the time then freeze them, if you do that for a couple of different foods you will have 2 weeks or so worth of meals.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011