My beagle started trying to "rape" my Shitzu!!!

OK, out of nowhere my little beagle started grabbing my shitzu and trying to hump her. He is nuetered and she is spayed. Why is he doing this??? She will cry and run away when he does it. I just dont understand how one day he just decided to be a total pervert. How can I stop him from doing this???

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 2:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pets

• It's not sexual and he's not a pervert. It's a dominance thing. Let it be, and they'll work it out. They are working out their position in the pack. If you truly hate it, grab his scruff and sternly say NO. But you have to be consistent for it to work.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I've seen that happen too. It's kinda weird how some still get the "urge". She, obviously, does not. Could be a bit of a botched neutering. We had a spayed cat who still skanked around- my vet. b.i.l. said they probably left some uterus in there or something.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Maybe spray him with a squirt bottle right in the face when he does it. he won't like that.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Seriously people. It is a dominance thing. Take him, flip him on his back, take his throat in your hand squeeze gently and say NO. In other words submit him.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• That is a natural dog behavior. Dogs also hump to show dominance, not just to have "sex."

Hope that helps so at least you know he is not raping her. It's different.
    Anonymous

• It's probably just a dominance thing. Or maybe it just feels good. Or maybe it was botched neutering, like sfwilson said. My dog has gotten hooked up with the neighbor's dog more than once, and he's SUPPOSED to be neutered and she's far too old to bear puppies and she doesn't ovulate anymore.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It's definitely a dominance thing. My female spayed dog does it to my male neutered cat. It's not sexual at all. She does it mostly when he haven't been able to exercise her much and she's been disciplined for getting into garbage or being rough with my 2 yo. She wants to make someone else lower on the totem pole and humping another is the way to do that.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It's not a sexual thing. It's dominance. Unlike you, a dog is not a pervert!
    Anonymous

• Mandy, A male is a male is a male. It's natural for a male to mate a female. Just because you cannot be a father (dog) does not mean you can't get the urge. Animals can even get a little stiff. If you know what I mean. This is all natural for a male and it doesn't stop with the surgery. If it bothers you that much then put him outside, do not abuse him physically just for acting normally. It's not the animal that is perverted.
    Albr

Answer by Albr at 3:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Male or female dogs will hump each other, because it is a dominate behavior for canines. As SusieD250 stated she is completely right. Any dog trainer will tell you it is only a dominate behavior. Take control now, because if he can get away with it with the other dog he will attempt to do it to humans. DOMINANCE IS HIS GOAL.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008