"there is nothing wrong with blind faith."

Do you truly believe that there is nothing wrong with following something which you know nothing of?

Does it not make more sense to research, study, come to understand exactly what you are following? Or does the kool aid really taste that good?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm an atheist, so I see all faith as being blind. However, I'm not against anyone's set of beliefs as long as they don't hurt another person.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 12:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am afraid, my dear, that some are just purely followers. It is easier not to use your brain.
    Anonymous

• Faith sometimes is an instinct you feel is right, but not questioning some things can lead to problems.

Answer by older at 12:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Anon, oh, lovely Anon... If it were a "'bashing" session I wanted I'd have one.

The simple reality is... that your holy text COMMANDS you to question, not to have blind faith.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• LOL I love this question.

In high school I got some of the best advice from my humanities teacher. She said "How can you really know your have faith unless you constantly question your faith?"

She was also a baptist minister (can't remember what the feminine title is). I was really close with her. She was the one that put me on the path of Paganism- well...she gave me a boot in that direction anyway. She was very well versed in many religions.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thanks for quoting me, I feel special. Yes, I believe this statement whole heartedly. Absolutely it's great to be educated, but for every confirmation of your beliefs there will be an opposing view point. So doesn't it all really amount to "blind faith"?
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have no idea where you heard that but YES there are many things wrong with blind faith. One should ALWAYS research and study before following anything. Heck even the BIBLE speaks about thinking things through before following them.

Proverbs 14:15 The simple man believe anything,
    but the prudent give thought to their steps.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• for every confirmation of your beliefs there will be an opposing view point. So doesn't it all really amount to "blind faith"?
    -------------------------

Like my belief in the earth's gravity? I'd like to see how THAT opposing view point works out.

Some things simply ARE. Some are not. You will never know the difference if you allow yourself to follow without investigation.

BTW- don't feel too special about being quoted... I do that a lot, especially when someone says something that is contradictory to the fundamental principals of their religion, yet claims it is true, or good. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• As a beiliever, I find it of utmost importantance to constantly monitor. Religions, being of human involvement, have a widespread history of misinterpretations, exclusivity, and misuse. It is our job, as God's children. to identify this misuse and steer clear of it.

To blindly follow would be a great disservice. We were not created to be droids . . we were created with wonderful brains and cognitive reasoning. We are meant to use them.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Blind faith is dangerous, especially if it's the kind that causes people to harm others.

I think it's VERY important, not just in terms of understanding things more accurately, but also in terms of coming into your own in your personal walk and relationship/spirituality, to constantly be digging and learning. Knowledge is the key to everything, through it you find your freedom, whatever that may be. The only way to truly be able to follow your own heart, though, is to allow yourself the chance to consider what is out there. Even if you end up staying on the same path, at least then it's not blindly... I also feel, other than the importance of taking time to truly understand for yourself instead of regurgitating what you've been told, that it's important to really *resonate* with what you follow and believe....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011