What is your 2yo learning?

What are you teaching your 2yo to get ready for preschool/ headstart? Is it just numbers 1-20, colors, shapes, and abc's or r u teaching them to read, count to 50, write, spell or even learn everything that they all ready know in a diff language to? and what should a 2yo already know and should be learning so they are not behind when they get ready for preschool or headstart?

clowery573

Asked by clowery573 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think still depends on the child at that age. My 3 yr old knew way more than my 2yr old when she was 2. My current 2 yr old just started really talking and I'm finding out he knows more than I thought, he just couldn't tell me before.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Well everyone is different but my 2 yr old is trilingual (english, Japanese, Spanish) she knows most colors, lots of numbers, and alphabet. She knows alot of fruits. She speaks really well and understands everything. She doesn't know how to write but she can draw out some shapes. She recognizes some letters and numbers.she is fully potty trained (day, night) and there are numerous other things that I can't think of right now but these are the main things. I just discovered that she is good at picking up tunes, I mean really good, and the piano is something she likes so I think I'm gonna get her in that asap as well as dancing because she can pick up choreography well too. I think she is a bit above average for her age but that's just my opinion and as far as what she's suppose to know I guess to each is own.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My son turned 2 in November. He knows his letters, upper and lowercase, and how to spell words we see all the time (his name, STOP, etc.). He knows how to count to 20, but we are working on one-to-one correspondence. He knows 8 colors and 9 shapes. He knows some spanish, just common words he hears us using around the house (spanish is not my 1st language, but I took several years in school and worked around latinos, and my elementary school kids have spanish in school). We are working on letter sounds and simple words because he has an interest in it. We are also working on following directions and learning to write (we aren't doing letters yet, just straight lines, squiggle lines, and shapes).
    I don't think kids can really be "behind" when they start preschool, since they generally cover all this stuff anyway. It just keeps my son and I busy, and it's fun!

Answer by missanc at 12:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My 2 1/2 year old niece knows all her shapes, colors, she can recite her ABCs as well as knows what each letter looks like, same with her numbers 1-10.
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 12:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I teach mine his name, colors, shapes, letters, and just generally how to say things the correct way.
    abutler1032

Answer by abutler1032 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Well, my little girl is almost three and she knows her alphabet and her colors. She hasn't learned to recognize words yet but she knows the letters and tries to make up what word it means. She does recognize her name (Alice) and my name (Sophie) when she sees it written, but when she sees an M or an N she thinks that's the dogs' names. I'm a kindergarten teacher so I know how to teach her.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2011