What do you REALLY think when you see the person ahead of you in line at the grocery store with her food stamp card out?

Do you scan her cart and make sure she is buying good food with it? Do you judge her for having a Coach bag that she might have gotten at a yard sale? Do you examine her children for signs of obesity?

I find myself wondering how she got into such financial difficulty as to need the help. Many women get food stamps because of divorce, poor or no child support, and a disability.

What are YOUR thoughts?

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't think anything. I'm too busy minding my own business. I have a life of my own, I don't have to nose my way into someone else's.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't, I don't pay attention to how anyone else is paying for their groceries. It's none of my business.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen one and I don't know what it looks like even if I did. I guess I don't pay that much attention to others. The only thing I DO notice in a grocery store is when someone manually writes a check. Come on people! Its 2011!!! lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I can honestly say I have never noticed how anyone was paying at the grocery store except an occasional old lady that fills out her check as she is standing in line waiting. But then I roll my eyes and scan her cart for Fiber One bars and prune juice. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am one of those moms that has a foodstamp card and I buy what is suppose to be bought with it and I get my stuffed handed down or bought at second hand stores. We do splurge on our selves and buy from walmart or where ever
    amberauker

Answer by amberauker at 12:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't think anything...it's none of my business
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am hoping and praying that they are in a situation that warrants them having it and that they get in a better spot soon.

The one time I had a problem was the people who were very proud to be purchasing 5 lobsters with theirs. No other food for their kids just the lobsters and they seemed very proud to not actually be paying for them.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think people who judge others should try 3 months of living in that persons shoes. SO WHAT if they get some twinkies or chips or a few soda's..... Does kids who parents have the money for the items the only ones allowed to enjoy a treat?? People do what they have to to make sure their children have a smile on their faces in this crappy economy... So I don't judge.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am one of those moms too. I try to only buy what is good for us. I still getting embarrassed using it though. I try to hide it in my hand so that others don't see it. I don't like the feeling of being looked down upon. Even if know one is, I still feel bad about having to have assistance.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wonder why I can't get assistance ........... I make about $120 a month too much to qualify. I applied, just to get some relief......my DH brings home less than $200. a week because of an old support order (his kids are well emancipated!) takes over 50% of his check. He was out of work for 18 mos.......when he got this sweat shop $8. an hour job, they nailed him. Sorry, didn't mean to vent
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2011