Is 100% fruit juice almost as good as fruit?

I like to give my son atleast 2 servings of fruits and veggies a day.
something like this:
Breakfast-fruit and oatmeal
Snack- fruit
lunch-veggies and something else
snack- just a snack
Supper-meat and veggies

But some days I don't have fruits bc they ruin so fast! Coyld juice count as a fruit? As long as it has no sugar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• No, but it's better than a cookie.

Answer by missanc at 12:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• its best to get the actual fruit if you can, but there are thos fruitables juice boxes out there that promise to be i think 1/2 a serving of fruit per box
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 12:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yes it does count as a serving of fruit. The benefit of a piece of fruit over the juice is they get the fiber from the fruits and because the juices are concentrated forms of the fruit, they get more of the natural fruit sugars. That's the only difference. As far as vitamins and stuff, it still counts. Sounds like you are doing a great job on his eating by the way!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It doesn't have the fiber or the "filling" power that a piece of fruit would have. Also, it'll be missing some of the phytochemicals that are left behind when the fruit is juiced. Juice automatically has sugar in it (in the form of fructose) and it's got some good vitamins. I don't think you're doing badly by giving them juice once in a while in place of fruit.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I try to get him to eat good but half of the time he doesnt eat what I want him too but I stil put it in front of him if he only takes one vite lol. He LOVES mixed vegetables!! Which I'm very proud of him for that. And bananas. I feel so bad bc I dont have a banana and hes been sayin nana all morning ):
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• And thank you (:
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No. Juice is empty calories.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2011

• not as a replacement every day
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:25 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Juice is ok every now and then but actual fruit IS better.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes it does count as a serving of fruit. The benefit of a piece of fruit over the juice is they get the fiber from the fruits and because the juices are concentrated forms of the fruit, they get more of the natural fruit sugars. That's the only difference. As far as vitamins and stuff, it still counts. Sounds like you are doing a great job on his eating by the way
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:59 AM on May. 9, 2011