Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Kidney infections

My dd is eight and has had like six kidney infections since she was three. This seems like a lot to me since I have only had one in my life. Should we ask for a referral to a specialist? Or is this normal?

Answer Question

Asked by Shaken1976 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 20 (9,288 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • Yes. Call her pediatric and get a referral to pediactric nephrologist or urologist. If you are able to get her into see a specialist at a major medical center or university, that would be best.

    She could possibly have a structural issue that they might be able to detect with ultrasound or other diagnostics.

    Do this soon, kidney infections, as you know, are very serious, and multiple occurrances indicate an underlying problem that is beyond the scope of the general pediatrician.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Good luck :) She will be in good hands with a specialist.


    Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Yes, if she has it for too long without her or you knowing it it can get into her bloodstream. Then it really gets serious I know. So yes, I woulg get a specialist. Good luck.

    Answer by arenad at 1:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I am suprised they have not had her in for tests done by a specialist! My dd is 6 and has had 3. 2 she was hospitalized for. They are afraid of kidney failure.
    I would call a specialist and to be honest find a new peditrition. I have never heard of them ignoring kidney issues.

    Answer by shymom24 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I am in the military. Her pediatrician is a military doctor. It changes constantly. We have not seen the same doctor twice in the last two years. I had to argue the fact that she has asthma at one point...because they did not hear wheezing.

    Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Then, you may need to demand a referral . . . I know it is hard to navigate through changing peds when not one of them claims responsibility.

    Good luck.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I would seek out a specialist.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I HATE military doctors (for the most part).

    DEMAND that they give you a referral to go see a specialist NOW. Call the appt line and set it up there. If the dr refuses to give you a referral, GO DIRECTLY TO TRICARE. Take her records with you, if possible. Show them she NEEDS to go see a specialist ASAP.

    When my little Laura got her first UTI, her dr immediately sent her to go see a urologist. We found out that her bladder was not formed properly, and she's since had surgery to get it corrected.

    *Hugs* for you and your little one!

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • id see a doc that actually helps gl

    Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

  • She did see a doc. Which is how I know she has a kidney infection and UTI. Just asking if this is normal to have so many. The doc wants to wait. I want a referral.

    Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN