Speaking of spiders *Heebie Jeebie warning*

I have seen 3 different kinds of spiders in my house over the past month. They creep me out & I don't have a big, manly DH to kill the ugly things. I've sprayed spider spray around all of the windows & doors & in the basement, but I don't want to go TOO nuts since I've got a 6 year old, a 1 year old & a cat.

Does anyone know how to get rid of spiders without calling an exterminator?

SleepyCupcake

Asked by SleepyCupcake at 12:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Okay, first off, where do you live? That will determine what KIND of spiders you have.
    Second off, I suggest even if you are keeping them out of your home it's best that you know what spiders you have and if they are dangerous.

I'm in the NorthEast. We only have ONE dangerous spider in the area and I know what it is to see it. IF I see one of those, I will kill it. Otherwise, I love spiders! They take care of insects which can spread infection and disease.

As for your photo, infections like that are one in a million and usually happen when the proper care is not taken following a poisonous spider bite and it becomes infected. Should someone be bitten, take care to use a compress and make sure to watch it for infection - as you would any bite. The only ones who end up like that are the ones who don't have the common sense to care for themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Whatever you do, don't google spider bites.  And don't look at this pic:

SleepyCupcake

Comment by SleepyCupcake (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Not what I wanted to see.
    sweetsinglemama

Answer by sweetsinglemama at 1:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Now, regardless of what kinds of spiders you have there are a few natural repellants you can try.

The first is a Vinegar & Coconut Oil mix sprayed along doors, windows and anywhere they may decide to make a home.

Another is 1 quart of water, 5 tablespoons of liquid natural soap, 1 ounce of neem oil, and A few drops of either lavender or tea tree oil. Mix all these ingredients together in a spray bottle and spray the area where you have spiders.

Neither of these will not harm the spiders at all and will drive them away. This is because spiders have sensors in their legs and they do not stay in an area treated with this mixture.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Neem is a naturally derived (it comes from pine trees) repellant and it's safe to use on both animals and people! Through the summer I buy my children a natural soap with neem in it. This helps to protect them when they are outside (or in) from everything from spiders to bees to lice. I get mine through SoapAlchemy (because it's local to me) but you can also get it online.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I bow to your arachnolove! I live in Ohio. The 2 main ones I've seen are the brown recluse & the yellow sac. I saw one yesterday that was a thick black one with a white dot on it's back. It's body was much bigger than its legs, proportion wise. OMG I'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.
    SleepyCupcake

Comment by SleepyCupcake (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I really hate spiders and I'm getting creeped out reading this and seeing that picture! i live in SC and oh man, we have a ton of spiders here! I really have no idea how to get rid of them besides an exterminator
    eustacejessica

Answer by eustacejessica at 3:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• OMG, I wish I hadn't looked at that picture!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• omg nasty picture gross
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 4:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My dad had a spider bite on his inner thigh last year and they had to do some sort of minor surgery
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2011