Are wholesale clubs worth it?

I live near both a B.J's and Costco. I feed three toddlers, a seven year old and a husband, daily. Breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners. I am a meal planner and am comfortable planning out meals in advance, two weeks at a time. I usually shop Peapod where I can let them doing the thinking and finding me the best price. My grocery's for two weeks usually runs about $400. Would I be doing better by shopping at a wholesale club?

Also - I hate grocery shopping - when is the quietest time to shop one of these types of stores?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 12:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Heck Yeah! Costco has changed my life! The one I go to is almost always crowded though, but the money we save makes it more then worth it, buying in bulk will always save you money, even if your just buying diapers and toilet paper lol....i guess the best time to shop would be when they first open in the morning...
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yes we have a family of 5 and sticking to stire brands you save tons of money Our Costco is open till 11 and I work late nights so when I go it's usually just other adults and a handful of babies who probaly couldnt sleep but early mornings like as soon as they open or after 9 when most kids are in bed. We also have a 24 hour walmart I love shopping around 2 or 3 am it's like 20 people in the whole stor lo I love it and the othere advantage to early/late shopping is the store is cleaner and well stocked. Hope it helps momma take care and be blessed
    timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 12:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• sorry stire=store brands
    timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 12:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• OH YES!! I am a BJ's follower haha, me and my mom shop there for our 8 person family once a month. It's worth every penny for the membership. PLUS they give you a SPLURGE of coupons to use in their store and you are welcome to bring in others as well. We've saved SO much money buying bulk. I recommend it to anyone.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 1:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I used to shop them but you have to be careful what you get. They sell in bulk as you know and some things are fine to get in bulk if you know you are going to use it. My mil gets some of my meat from them on a biweekly basis since I buy 2 weeks worth of meats and lunch meats at a time. I can save alot with that. But other things for us like crackers, breads, etc are not worth it for me since they go stale, or bad and I end up throwing them away. So it really depends on what you go there to buy.

Answer by gemgem at 1:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i believe they are!!! Its like anywhere u shop...i still compare prices with how much of the product you get. I think mornings are the best time to go like after breakfast
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I shop at Sams club and if you can pre-plan your meals it is so worth it. it also helps to keep up a stockpile of supplies.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We don't but then again we don't have the room and our Sams club is 25 minutes away.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I shop at Sam's. They're great for stocking up on specific things. For instance, block cheddar cheese is waay cheaper at Sams when you compare oz per oz.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would go to Sam's Club if it was closer. I would definitely buy some things in bulk, but not all.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 2:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011