Bible translation...

Have you ever thought about Bible translation? The Old Testament was originally in Hebrew, the New Testament originally Aramaic (I'm pretty sure), it has then been translated into many different languages and several different versions in the English language. Does this concern you at all? Do you think that things have been misinterpreted or possibly lost in translation? Any thoughts?

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Old Testament was originally in Hebrew, the New Testament originally Aramaic (I'm pretty sure),

--

I believe there are two views on the NT: one that the originals were in Greek and another than the originals were in Aramaic (and in some places poorly and awkwardly translated into Greek). Yes, I often wonder about what has been lost in translation when reading it. I've seen many examples of references to the original Greek words (translated to English) and it seems to have different meanings in some cases than how it was translated. There are a lot of differences even in versions of the same language depending on how much translators knew or what their opinions were at the time of the translation. It's definitely good to compare different versions as much as possible.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think things are constantly misunderstood. I just dig as deep as I can and try to find the original words and whatever translations are available.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Absolutely is possible :) I know Spanish and Arabic, and if you translate it word for word into English wow, what a mess.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• There are some things that have been lost from the original Hebrew. There are things that they really just don't know what they mean. I speak Hebrew fairly fluently and the translations our synagogue are as accurate as they can be. I don't know about the Christian Bible and those translations.

One of the most famous mis-translations is the statue of Moses by Michelangelo. Moses has horns because the word for horns looks the same and has the same root letters as the word for ray, as in ray of light.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's highly possible and the thought that people follow blindly sometimes worries me. Human error is always a problem.
    Anonymous

• Pray about whatever your reading.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 1:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think this is my main problem with the Christian belief. It has been tampered with, written many, many years AFTER the death of Jesus and translated so many times in different languages that the meaning has been lost and things have been taken out or put in. It has been too much room for error you know? Just like in ancient Egypt and so on. Over the years people add to or take away. I will never say there is no god or that a man like Jesus couldn't have existed but to say it is 100% true to me is false and to say it was protected so that it was not corrupted again to me is false.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Do you think that things have been misinterpreted or possibly lost in translation?
    -----------------------------------
    No. I believe the KJV translation is very precise. If it's been misinterpreted or things were lost in translation, how did it become the mainspring of the religion, language, and legal foundation of our civilization? The KJV translators were committed to producing an English Bible that would be a precise translation and by no means a paraphrase or an approximate rendering. The scholars were almost as familiar with the original languages of the Bible as with their own.
    If accuracy and strictest attention to the letter of the text be supposed to constitute an excellent version, this is of all versions the most excellent.--Catholic scholar, Alexander Geddes 1786.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I like this one too, but didn't have room for it in one window.

The translation was extraordinarily well done because to the translators what they were translating was not merely a curious collection of ancient books written by different authors in different stages of culture, but the Word of God divinely revealed through His chosen and expressly inspired scribes. In this conviction they carried out their work with boundless reverence and care and achieved a beautifully artistic result.--George Bernard Shaw
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2011