6 month old really hyper at night?

My son is one week away from 6 months old and all of a sudden 3 nights ago he started to act very hyper at about 8 o'clock at night, he fights going to sleep until he is so upset, that he falls asleep out of sheer exhaustion! He never used to act like this... he is having a couple naps in the day but only for about an hour and a half total. I try to stay in the house as much as possible to help him get a good rest in the day... but there are things to be done!! He acts very hyper almost as though he's over tired... I'm not sure if he's just getting older and this is the name of the game or if there's something I can do to help the situation. Have any of you dealt with this type of behavior?

Katrink

Asked by Katrink at 1:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I experienced this with my son as well and came to the conclusion he was "slap happy" Something that might help is you staying in the room, but ignoring him, until he falls asleep. Sometimes I will act like I am going to sleep to and my son will fall right to sleep. Otherwise let him stay up for longer to see what happens. Good Luck!
    abutler1032

Answer by abutler1032 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Sounds like he's overtired at that time to me. Can you try maybe starting your bedtime routine with him about a half hour earlier than normal? maybe that could help.
    Hope this helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• nothing wrong w/ letting him stay up late, mine has always been a night owl. I have also taken to laying down w/ her when its time for her to sleep, this seems to help.
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 5:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011