How can I lose the stretch marks and loose belly skin?

I did so well throughout the pregnancy; but as soon as she dropped I got stretch marks all over my lower belly. And the skin is so loose! Is there a chance that I'll ever look normal again?

lauriep219

Asked by lauriep219 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Any exercise may help, and TIME is the best thing for the skin. Any dramatic weight loss (like delivering a baby) will leave you with excess skin. Give it some time, and exercise (of any kind). Invest in a good jogging stroller, and start walking and/or jogging. Do some strength training to firm you up and build lean tissue (which burns calories). Ultimately, you can't do a lot about stretch marks. Genetics and weight gain are the two things that really determine stretch marks. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yes, work out religiously. My stretch marks faded a bit, and during summer you can hardly see them b/c my skin tans. I had a strict diet and worked out like there's no tomorrow and it tightned up in about 10 weeks.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If it is your skin itself, working out might not ever be enough. A lot of that depends on your genetics. If I had a picture, I would post it (I'm 8 months pregnant now, you can't see my skin like that anymore...lol) but I just have folds of wrinkly skin that even after I lose all the weight and get my muscles back tight and strong, just will not go away. It is disappointing to know that the work I put into getting my "pre baby body" back won't ever take care of that. Even my doctor said the skin would take surgery to get rid of. Stretchmarks will fade. Your skin might get a little better, but if you are like me, it will never fully go away, and there will come a point where the more weight you lose, the worse it looks :(

Wouldn't trade my babies though!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Like at the gym? Or running & yoga? And what kind of diet? Any/all of that sounds good to me. I'm just working on figuring out the whole juggling of the baby/self/home lol.
    lauriep219

Comment by lauriep219 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Don't spend a pile of money on products that claim they will make your stech marks go away. They wont ! I have a friend who got a tummy tuck,and they "tucked" all her stretch marks away. That might be an option one day if you want.(When you are done having children...and you have more money :) I dont know how old your baby is but some good exersize will get your tummy muscles back into shape. Give it time . You are not super woman :) Strech marks do fade quite a bit over time..but mine are still pretty bright after 5 years. The strechy skin will go away after a while. Dont worry .
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 2:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Stretch marks will fade, but aside from laser surgery they aren't going to go away. Loose skin can go away , not sure how post partum you are, it can take time but sometimes the pooch is difficult to lose. You can try a workout system like Insanity, p90x, TurboFire, etc. You can find info and success stories here

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• How long ago did u give birth? ASAP, go buy one of those spandex tight underwears that cover your belly, and I mean tight!! Wear it as many hours as possible b/c the longer your loose skin is free, the less a chance you'll retain elasticity. Definitely work out and take vitamins. Murad (its a skin line) offers a great 60 Day supplement pack for cellulite and stretch marks, but it will help your skin too. I did it after my daughter was born- its expensive but works. Stretch marks will never dissappear, but u can reduce the appearance. Trust me, you get what u pay for!! No cheap drugstore brand will work, only stuff like strixaderm (Murad also has other body products). I work w/ skincare so that's how I know. Good luck :)
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Tone it. The problem is your body didn't have time to adjust slowly and that's what happens when you go from 180 to 130 in let's say 2 months time (it's just an example). If you work at it slowly your muscle will pull your skin back in. Suggestion, next time do it slowly, naturally and it should all come together on its own at the same time. You can't lose weight without toning and expect the skin to follow :) Hope it helps!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm 8 weeks postpartum. I had morning sickness (more like morning, noon, and night) all but months 6, 7 and 8 so I ended up only weighing 10 pounds more than when I started; and it was all baby. So I'll probably try everything that all of you have suggested and see what happens. Thank you!
    lauriep219

Comment by lauriep219 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2011