Update!

Hi, I asked a question about vaccinations Annoymously, just wondering how many people may or may not think there is a connection. I do not have an Autistic child but I have heard a lot. Some have told me that I shouldn't vaccinate my children. Doing my research as well as I wanted to see what your views were. I do vaccinate my children, but with everything that I have heard as well as read, I wonder how much of it is true and how much is theory. After reading some of your replies I think everyone has their own believes. Some believes that it CAN be the shots while others say NO way.

Kimberly71682

Asked by Kimberly71682 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• gemgem

Answer by gemgem at 1:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• regardless of your choice to vaccinate or not it is YOUR choice for your children, be it based on religious beliefs, customs, personal beliefs based on research, etc. So regardless it's not up to US to tell you what to choose.. we can just offer why WE choose what we did for our children :). So best of luck :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• To each his own. My kids have always gotten all of their shots, mostly b/c they are a requirement for public schools and to play sports.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It isn't the shots, it's been proven. The Dr. who claimed that it was the MMR vaccine that caused autism has been discredited. The only reason why he said that it caused it was because the symptoms of autism usually occur around the age that children get this shot. I vaccinate my child even though on his father's side there is autism with 2 of his nephews. There is also autism on my son's grandmother's side so if he was going to have autism it would be because of genetics, not because of a shot.
    Anonymous

• It has been proven, Show me that in writing because I read it has never been proven.
    Kimberly71682

Comment by Kimberly71682 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I do have an Autistic son and never subscribed to the theory shots caused them. And that research has proven to be wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 1:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I do not vaccinate due to the lack of long term studies and the fact that I have a moral objection to the way some live vaccines are made. I get voted down all the time and told what a horrible mother I am for it, but the bottom line is it is a personal choice that I have thought a lot about before making a decision. In fact, my oldest had all of the routine vaccinations, but the information I read between my first and second child was enough for me to change my mind.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320801,00.html

http://www.autisable.com/721427974/autism-not-caused-by-vaccines-officially/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/fishman/2005/mmr.html

Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We're not getting MMR until age 5. I don't feel that the brain is formed enough to handle this injection. Some kids can handle it just fine. And I absolutely DO think that this vax has something to do with Autism. It's more than the thimerisol (mercury). Without getting into it too much, I don't think that the vax CAUSES Autism. I think that the child is most likely predisposed to it and something in the vax triggers it. When the shot is given after age 5, the brain is formed and it is VERY unlikely that Autism will develop. Even waiting until age 3 is much safer than age 1 or 2.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 1:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011