What's the appeal of ...

"reality" shows like American Idol, Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, Dancing with the Stars, Amazing Race, etc. 

Can someone explain it? I'm really curious as to why some people watch these kinds of shows. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 1:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Entertainment

• I think you have to break some of those into different categories. I would NOT categorize American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Amazing Race with crap like Jersey Shore and Teen Mom. The first three have people striving to do their personal best and will get rewarded for it... where as the other two reward the worse public behavior possible.

Anonymous

• I fail to see the appeal as well. It's supposed to be reality but is so obviously scripted and staged.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't watch Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, ect but I LOVE Amazing Race....it's just pure entertainment and of course I'm jealous because I think me and my hubby would KICK ASS in that show lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't know really, though I do watch these shows. Some of them are for the drama. I don't like being involved in drama, but I find it hilarious to watch. I watch American Idol (sometimes) because I like hearing people that can sing well. Usually it's out of boredom, though. I don't watch a ton of tv.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I can't stand them.. if i want to see reality I will sit on the front porch and watch everyone in the neighborhood go about their lives while i drink my sweet tea before going back to mine
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• American Idol: So they can hear someone sing beautifully or humiliate themselves
    Jersey Shore: To watch vulgar people humiliate themselves
    Teen Mom: To judge someone and think to themselves (Thank god I'm a better parent than them)
    Dancing with the Stars: To watch good dancing or watch someone humiliate themselves
    Amazing Race: Never seen it but you get the point.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I really only watch America's Next Top Model... and honestly, I'm not sure why. That's really in for reality though.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• because it's entertaining to watch people make a complete ass of themselves
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011