What Can I Do For A 2 Year Old With Iron Deficiency Anemia?

Is there anything that you can think of that I can do for my child that has iron deficiency? Please Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• idk if iron supplements can be taken by children im sure oyu can find out from a pharmacist, but if not give him/her foods with a lot of iron in them.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• thank you i've tried this already and it's not working. her iron runs between 7.6 and 9.6. thanks again for your response.
    Anonymous

• oh, then i would then go to a doctor about it and let them know youve tried the above and nothing has changed they can probably give you better info good luck :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• spinach and red meat i would mix some spinach in eggs with cheese and it tastes good and get creative with the red meat low fat of course but make it fun shapes or make it a contest to see how manny ngihts she can finish her whole dish or somethign
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have one of those cookbooks about how to hide veggies in regular food. (Jerry Simpson's wife wrote one and the other is called the Sneaky Chef). They both have receiped for purees you can make and then mix in regular food. One of them is a spinach puree. You can add it to meatballs, tomato sauce- lots of things! And spinach is a great source of iron. I also am a nurse (not pediatric- but we still study that....) Also- fortified breads and cereals have iron too. Anyway, the one thing I clearly remember is that we learned that the main cause of anemia in toddlers is that they drink too much milk. Milk has no iron in it and if your toddler drinks too much milk, he will be too full to eat the foods that have iron. So maybe evaluate how much milk he drinks.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Cream of Wheat has good iron. I would mix applesauce into it for flavor. If your baby goes on an iron supplement, make sure to feed plenty of fruits to keep the constipation away!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009