How can I find a good school for my 3 year at a reasonable price?

My first child just turned 3 and I'm looking to enroll him in school this fall. I'm in the dark I don't know what to look for in a school or what the cost is going to be. Any advice from someone who has children in preschool would be great.

I am also considering putting my 14 month old in school.

cevonner81

Asked by cevonner81 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try fantasy land. Sorry, bad attempt at humor. Schools are always so expensive, I guess I'm a little bitter. :) Anyway, some Christian churches have private schools at a reasonable price. It's great that you want to get your child into school this soon, I believe he/she will do better later on because of the early start.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 1:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I got the local paper & went to a bunch of schools unannounced to see how they were during a normal day. Also local libraries have pre-school open houses sometimes & you can get some school names there. I just went to each school & got a good or bad feeling. Hard to explain but safety was my first concern. One school I went to looked like a free for all and the Teacher was with one child & all the other kids were running rampant. I finally decided on a school with no more than 10 to a class & two Teachers. They are very organized, lots of fun activities, CLEAN!!!, Friendly, Safe (they have a Ambulance med tech on duty at all times & resuscitator kit). They do crafts, science, library, computers. Also all the supplies (crayons, paper etc.) is provided. I just send in a snack. He goes for 2 1/2 hrs twice a week. He LOVES it!! We even go on field trips. The Parent drives the child to the event & stays. GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Also, go visit the schools NOW so you see them in action before summer recess.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Why are you looking at pre-schools now? (unless it's because you HAVE to go back to work) Alot of the things they would do with them in a pre-school, you can do with them at home. (alphabet, numbers/counting, colors, etc) My oldest just turned 5 years and can read and write above her age level. She also is understanding more complex situations and is VERY well socialized! (her doc is always VERY impressed with her at her yearly check ups!)

They will be in school soon enough. Enjoy the time you've got with him/her because it will be gone soon enough.
    Cristi1004

Answer by Cristi1004 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am not sure where you live and how low your budget is. In our area the YMCA has a program and so do a few of the local colleges that have an early childhood education major. If you are comfortable with a religious context local churches often have the best deals. If you meet the financial criteria you could try Head Start. There are some websites to get you started like schooldigger.com and greatschools.net but they might not have all the information. Often you get more info from a local real estate office area guide or by inquiring with someone at town at the local library.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2011