Religious vs non religious

Just a question spurred off of some others I have read.

If you are not religious and do not believe in God...do you feel judged by others? looked down upon? are others down right rude to you when they find out?

Those who are relgious... Have you felt any prejudice? Has anyone thought you were brainwashed or other because of your beliefs?

I am a Christian and although I stand up for what I believe...I feel that everyone is free to believe what they want. If you ask me what I believe I will tell you. I am not going to try and convince someone that they are wrong. Not my place to judge you. That comes in the end from a higher power than me.

Also for those who are not religious....do you celebrate religious holidays AND what do you tell your children if they ask questions about God and Jesus?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am religious and yes in certain circumstances.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The prejudice goes both ways depending on the person. I agree with you, I am a Christian and I will proudly state my beliefs and answer any questions that I can. But I will not argue and debate and tell another what to believe. I know that not everyone believes the same as me and I am ok with that.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I believe in god but not in the Christian sense. I am not religious because I do not follow a set of beliefs or rules. I am all about nature and science. My children are educated on Jesus and I do not tell them how i feel unless they ask and I always tell them they can believe what they want
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If you are not religious and do not believe in God...do you feel judged by others? Typically no because unless I mention it other'd don't know what religion I am.
    looked down upon? Well I feel some try when they make comments about not "being right with God and living like an Athesit does" as if it is somehow different from the way they lives themselves. I typically chaulk it up to ignorance though.
    are others down right rude to you when they find out? Sometimes. I've had one mom PM me and tell me she "completely disagreed with the way I was living and I had better get right with God and my kids should be taken away from me because I'm a horrible mom because I don't believe in God."
    I asked her if she knew what I ate for breakfast that day since she seemed to "know so much" about how I lived, and then I reported her PM to the team.......I haven't been bothered much by her since then....

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I tell my girls I believe in God, because I do. Some people will say I am brain-washing them,and I should let them decide for themself. I don't think it is OK to keep what I believe from my children. Everyone has all kinds of ideas on how how to do certain things, or what they believe. As long as we show our kids that everyone believes different things, and we show them respect... I think our world will be a better place.
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 2:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Let's see how to answer.. lol

I am "religious" or could be considered religious.

The only prejudice I have ever experienced has been directed towards me by other religious people. Religious people that follow a different belief system than I do, and who have felt that I was "wrong" and needed to believe what they believed. I have been called many names by other religious people, I have had my faith ridiculed by other religious people, I have had my faith denounced and declared unreal/a cult/etc by other religious people. Funny thing, I have never experienced the dislike, prejudgments, and prejudiced from NON religious people. Just religious ones.

In regards to holidays/special occasions/festivals in our household we celebrate both Sikh and Hindu ones.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I watch a lot of youtube videos on this subject. What stuck me as funny is that when an atheist or christian has a video removed for content they always scream that the owners of youtube are against them because of their standing on God. So basically the Christians feel they are targeted for being Christians and the Atheist feel they are targeted for being Atheist. People make can make a persecution argument out of the simplest events.
    I don't teach religion or non religion to my kids, I arm them with a wealth of materials to use to make up their own mind. Whatever they believe, I want them to be sure and solid in those beliefs and I will support them.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 2:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'm not religious, and I live in the Bible Belt. So I don't tend to bring up religion in conversation, so there's not really much chance for anyone to judge me on that account. They probably assume I'm a Christian until if/when I tell them differently, but if it doesn't come up in conversation...who cares.

We do celebrate religious holidays like Christmas and Easter. If it was strictly religious, we wouldn't, but they've become so secular that I don't see a reason not to, especially when there's now more to it than the Christian aspect. If/when my children ever ask about God/Jesus (they're too young now), I'll tell them general beliefs and my own beliefs, and get them more information if they want it. They can then make their own decisions as to what to believe.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• To be honest, while there is the very rare comment seriously implying that believers are brainwashed or delusional, I find, like pixie, that most of the negativity I face comes from fellow Christians who can't accept that I come to different conclusions on issues within the faith. Just here on CM I have been called a deceiver, a false prophet, deceived, etc, etc (though some thankfully not since before they started this points system, since I had my AWOL period for a while last year). My Christian identity is sometimes called into question, but I don't see myself as anymore radical than Jesus was himself... I'm just doing my best in following what I believe he wanted for us to understand, to emulate him. I think its funny, though, that in the name of he who tried to tear down the boundaries that divide us and inspire a more inclusive way of faith so many try so hard to maintain boundaries and the "us and them" mentality...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Q: do you feel judged by others...

A: I recognize that they are trying to judge me, but because I don't believe in "God", their basis for judgement is meaningless to me. Yes, some people are rude, but they are not people I care about anyway.

Q: do you celebrate religious holidays AND what do you tell your children if they ask questions about God and Jesus?

A: We celebrate the secular side of "Krismas" (Kris Kringle/Santa), and this year for the first time we did the egg/bunny/candy thing for Easter. Nearly all the holiday traditions we take part in are either ancient cultural/pagan or modern secular additions, so the subject of God/Jesus rarely comes us in our home. When it does, I tell my kids what I believe and why, and explain that other people may have different beliefs.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011