Is it normal

That a 8 month old sleeps on her side? This actuall makes me very nervous. Im always checking to make sure she is still breathing. Once I even turned her back onto her back she just keeps turning onto her side. Normal or not? Should I worry about SIDS or not?

ZeenaS.Muh

Asked by ZeenaS.Muh at 2:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's fine. She is plenty old enough to roll over and move her head. Stop freaking out. LOL She can sleep on her side.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• shes old enough and its prob the way she is most comfortable. I wouldn't worry to much
    stormystar15

Answer by stormystar15 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 8 months is old enough to sleep any way they want. Even on their stomach if they want.

Answer by louise2 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think it's pretty normal. My DD stopped sleeping on her back as soon as she could roll herself onto her side or tummy. I worried at first, too, but I was told that most babies do the same thing. I think once they are old enough to roll over on their own you don't have to worry as much about the SIDS. I did keep a fan in my DD's room for a long time to keep the air moving because I have read that really helps lower the SIDS risk, too. But I think if you put them down on their back and they move from that there isn't much you can do unless you are just going to sit there all night turning them back. You can make sure there aren't lots of blankets and toys in her crib.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Its normal..they try to get comfortable like we do,lol.My baby rolls to his side and sleeps,hes 7 months.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My understanding is that once they are old enough to turn over by themselves, the biggest danger from SIDS is past. However, you will want to continue to put her down on her back.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• lol I cant help but to worry!! Esp since Im not sleeping, I need something to do! Oh she also sleeps in the bed w/ us. she wiggles all over the place wish there was a crib here to put her in!
    ZeenaS.Muh

Comment by ZeenaS.Muh (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• my now 7 month old son when he turned 4months was sleeping on his stomach. I would wake up to go get him and he is then on his tummy. he is 7months old now and still ends up on his tummy. He is most comfortable that way, and as long as he is happy i am happy. I don't check on him at all. I used to until i called my nurse and she reassured me he will be fine.
    If ur so concened about it, then go to the store and pick up one of these things u can put in her bed that keeps her on her back and u won't have to worry anymore.
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My has been sleeping on his tummy since he learned how to roll himself over. Some kids it just seems like they have a position that they prefer and there's not much you can do about it and believe me it scared the crap out of me when I found my 3 month old on his tummy in the morning I think it's normal to freak out.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 3:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's fine. If she can roll on ther side let her sleep on it. That is where shei is comfortable. Mine sleeps best on her stomach . No worries
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 3:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011