For Excercise trainers or fanatics....advice pls : )

Is riding the stationery bike a good exercise? do ya think if it is done 3 or 4 times per week you will see results in slimming your legs?

Advice pls thank you.

PLEASE BUMP....

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• honestly, it's "ok" exercise. the one where you're sitting back in a chair with the pedals in front of you is pretty much a relaxation exercise. the one where you're actually sitting like you're on a bike is better, but in all honesty you'll get better results on an elliptical or an arc trainer
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It'll build some muscle in your leg and burn some calories, but it won't lose fat in just your legs, you'd lose a little bit all over. I think it'll be good if you're just starting out and want to build up your endurance. Add some power walking into your day as well, or try some dvd's at the library or if you have cable there are the free On Demand channels, including Exercise on Demand where you can do workouts free all the time (dozens of them).

I built up doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds and Biggest Loser workouts, now i'm doing Insanity and i'll do Insanity the Ayslum & P90X when i'm done with that

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It could be a good way to start doing some cardio that is low impact. Add to that walking as well as some strength training (you can google body weight exercises if you don't want to buy equipment) to create a well rounded workout and you should see results. Remember though, diet is going to be the most important when trying to slim down.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It depends on the time, distance, and resistance-- if you're leisurely doing it, no you won't notice too much...but if you're going hardcore, burning up a sweat, etc- and do that 3-4x a wk, you will notice a difference, but it only works out your legs.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You can't spot-lose fat. If you're going at a good hard pace and getting your heart rate up, you will lose some fat. You can't just sit and go at a leisurely pace. You might want to try a spin class, or even getting out on a bike.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:17 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Legs.. hmmm, I wouldn't really say so. A stationary bike only really raises your heart rate. If you place the resistance high you might be able to tone and build your muscles. however, I am going to assume it is the upper part of your legs that you want to shape up. See if you can find a Gilad video and get some leg exercising ideas from that! He works hard core into toning and defining, as well as losing in specific areas.

On a different note, I am starting a blog about nutrition, diet and exercise and could really use real questions to answer. Could you do me a favor and send me a few that you would like to know. Once I get the site up and going I will let you know what it is and you can see your question and my answer to it. (I am taking a Health Science Bachelors Degree, i figure i know a lot about it and people always tell you to do what you know and like to do!) Thanks for your help!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• OH!! When your heart rate increases, your metabolism increases.. With all of that combined your body will rid fat more easily, so if it's an over all thing you want, it will take a while but sure, it's possible. But, make sure you tone it up as you go, especially if you don't want flab!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2011