Why is it easier.......?

Why is it easier for some of us (me) to share certain aspects of our lives with the "total strangers" on Cafemom then with the people we are closest to???

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I hear ya! I think its because we pretty much know that someone out there is going through it too...and we're hoping that by hiding behind our keyboard we can safely find some support! also, its easy to shut off the computer and walk away if you dont like what you're hearing
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 2:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Sometimes even people on CM are nicer that people in Real Life..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Zoejains momma has the right idea I think. People in our personal lives tend to use information we share with them .. and it's safer not to tell some things to people who are subject to emotional whims and are in a position to do damage to your life if they ever have an axe to grind with you. I've found that the things I share with people make me more subject to being controlled by them...you know you don't want to anger the person who holds your secrets...so you are likely to put up with more crap from them than you normally would. I don't share anything with people I do not mind being repeated. That way, I never become someones bitch.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 2:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• b/c we are not afraid of what a total stranger thinks of us only the ones we love. Thats why it's sometimes easier for people to unload their life story to a therapist. they don't care what they think only the so opinion.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 2:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• because if someone on here judges me i can ignore them and never have to see them again!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• wow maxsmom... Id hate to meet the people in your real life. I have never in my real life met people like some of the people here. the people in MY real life are WAY nicer than some of the women here!!!!

I dont share some of the stuff with the real life people because they know it already. Or the issue is tricky and I dont want to drag them into it. I would NEVER discuss a marital issue with someone my husband interacts with... how rude would that be to my husband and that person.  If I have a neighbor issue i wouldnt want to ask a real life friend to help because i dont want to influence the way my friend thinks of my neighbor.

Also... it is nice to get the opinions of someone who maybe isnt in the same life situations... different age kids, different income, different location, etc.

Anonymous