Why are moms continuing Breastfeeding after the child's 3rd birthday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Simply because they want to. I nurse all my children untill they are selfween and if that means not untill 3 or 4 or whenever thats fine with me.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'm personally not a fan of it, but I have more important things to worry about like furthering my education, fixing dinner and making sure my basement isn't leaking from all the rain we're having...hmmmmm
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It is a little bizarre to me why a woman would want to that long?!? Up to the age of 1, I can understand. When you have to see out in public a child over the age of 2 ripping his mom's shirt down and pulling her breast out to feed, there is just something not right about that. I did have to see that a couple of years ago at a class at our local museum. Why????
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 2:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• because it is their baby and they recognize the nutritional and immunological benefits. The WHO, UNICEF, AAP all recommended nursing until both mother and baby want to stop. Child led weaning can take place anywhere between 2.5-7 years. Human milk was made for human children! The fat, protein, carb content that a 3 year old recieves is tailor made for them! The mother's body will also recognize vitamin deficiencies in her child and customize the milk to fill those gaps. Pretty neat stuff, wspecially when a picky eater will eat nothing but noodles and apple jucie for a week!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• shoutingIT'S NONE OF YOUR BUISNESS!!

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am not sure I could go that long, personally, but I deeply admire those who can. It's a real sacrifice for the Mother and a real benefit to the kiddo.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Why are you so worried about other mom's breastfeeding?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• can of wormsIt's a personal choice. Who cares. Nobody is forcing you to do it.

CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I did not breastfeed so I have no clue! But I would guess that when you would take a bottle away is when you'd actually stop breastfeeding.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 2:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No clue. Personally I find it really creepy to have a toddler still stuck on mom's boob. Somehow I just can't imagine it not causing some messed up attachment issues for later on in life. But, as long as I don't have to see it in public, I don't care.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011