Does anyone have a young (3 year old) child who has a feeding disorder? If so how have you handled it?

My daughter had an abnormal swallow so she did not learn to eat normally so we have had to put her through a lot of therapy to get her to eat..we are still working on it.

DorothyOpp

Asked by DorothyOpp at 3:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Health

• My son who is now 4 had big issues. He went though some OT and his ability to swallow was assessed. He would not go from baby foods to table foods, and he's puke on his own demand. He really scared us for awhile. At therpay he did not fit any typical type problem that they look at with the kids, such as color, texture, and those things. He'd chew, then spit the food out. We gave him a lot of milk, which he wanted but it added to the problem because he wouldn't be hungry enough to want to eat. He has progressed well and eats a lot now. I'd call him picky, but better. Another thing--he had a JumpaRoo jumper that he loved and he'd jump and vomit. I think that added to the problem. It took time, patience, and the OT therapy, but he's good now.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008