What prayers should every Christian child know?

I am learning to grow in Christ and I would like to teach my children to pray. But I need help. Can you please share some prayers to teach my kids, they are 11 and under.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Lord's Prayer is a pretty big hit...
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hail Mary
    The Lords Prayer

dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The "Now I lay me down to sleep" one seems to be pretty well known.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Pray like your speaking to someone, don't reherse it. Address who your talking to, thank Him for _______ and _______(whatever your thankful for), ask Him for __________and__________(whatever you need to ask him for) and close in the name of His son.
    Everyday will be different because every day is different. Pray with your children and by your example, they'll see and feel how important it is to you and it will be important to them.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The ones spoken from the pureness of their hearts and not memorized at all. WE could all learn a thing or two about prayer from a child. Children don't have pretense, they possess honesty more than adults do. Teach a child a string of words they do not understand will not in any way benefit them.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 2:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Angel of God my Guardian dear,
    To whom God's Love commits me here,
    ever this day be at my side,
    to light and guard,
    to rule and guide.
    daps

Answer by daps at 2:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• "The "Now I lay me down to sleep" one seems to be pretty well known."

And if you don't like the whole "and if I die before I wake" you can say something like "and the angels watch me through the night, and keep me in their blessed sight". My 3 year old has a little bear that says that when you squeeze him. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i agree with UpSheRises...that was the pray i learned and had to memorize and it is still a pray that i use to this day...it is also a pray i have taught my son he is nine. ...my family as well as my parents and my husband parents belive that the main thing is to teach the kids to feel comfortable knowing they can just talk to him there is no certain pray that has to be said but talk to him as he is just a friend and if you can not get your words together than just say Lord please have mercy on me...because he knows our heart....good luck on your new journey hun...i am on this journey as well but i am trying to build a stonger relationship with him and life by faith. i am always here if you every want to chat..may you stay blessed and prayed up!!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 2:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The 11 year old I would "teach" to pray by letting him know its okay to just "talk" to God. He doesn't need to be high and mighty with the THEE and THOU, WILST, etc.

Th eyounger ones I'd say the Now I lay me down to sleep - just to get the habit of praying and being thankful. Our graces at dinner always started with God is good, God is great....butlead to what the person praying was thankful for (each member took a dif day)
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 3:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

-

That is a well known one. I've also heard it this way too (but I'm more familiar with the 'if I die before I wake version):
    Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee, Lord, my soul to keep; Glad and well may I awake.And this I ask for Jesus’ sake. Amen.
    OR
    Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep: May God guard me through the night And wake me with the morning light. Amen.

I've heard this one too: Father, keep us through the night. Til the pleasant morning light. Bless with all thy tender care. Little children everywhere.

cont'd
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011