Banning Circumcision

A ban on circumcision could end up on San Francisco's November ballot.

A voter in the city says he will submit more than 12,000 valid signatures to the elections office today. That's more than the 7,200 needed to get the measure on the ballot.

The proposed new law would make it a misdemeanor to circumcise a person before they are 18-years-old.

more can be read here: SF Voters asked to Ban Circumcision

Why would anyone think they have the right to put this on the ballot? Some circumcise because of religious reasons (Jews/some Christians); other's do it because it's apart of their culture. And yet others do it because it is what they feel is best for their child health wise. What is the USA coming too? This is just crazy.

First its the happy meal toys in SF now it's this. Before you know it they will be telling you what clothing your child should wear, what time they should go to bed, and any other PARENTAL decision there is to be made will be made by the government.

Really why aren't are parental rights being protected?

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• wow that is insane.... I totally agree the government is overstepping their boundaries.

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Well, I suppose if fewer men are circumcised more "studies" requiriing taxpayer dollars will be needed to teach said men how to clean them properly.

Personally, I think this is a stupid idea..but it is SF and they pretty much wrote the book on stupidity.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Do they not have anything better to do? Anything better to argue about, to ban? Why go after women who choose to circumcise their baby boys? Why not spend more money and time on child sex offenders who hang out in parks or other areas where there are kids? Why not fight against things that are ACTUALLY hurting people, other then a little discomfort. Like drugs, or sex crimes, or drunk drivers, or gangs, or poor education, or bad politics?

BTW, my boys are circumcised. I never thought twice about it. I have never been with a guy who wasn't. To me, it's just not clean. I mean, I know it is, but it just doesn't, IDK. My boys are circumcised. And I don't understand why they are spending time and money on this, when there are other issues that probably need this attention.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• When did it become ok for others to make our decisions? And why are some of you ok with letting the government control what you do with your child? This world has gone nuts.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Why do so many people support the government's ever increasing intrusion into our lives and our decisions? Why is this thought of as ok by some of you? I swear, some of you would be ok with the government telling you when to use the bathroom, and when and how to wipe your ass (only one square per dump please).

Whether I agree or disagree with circumcision, I cannot stand the thought of the government thinking they can tell people how to make decisions like that.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's legal to kill your unborn child, but they want to make it illegal to snip off a piece of the foreskin once a baby boy is born?

Freaking idiots.

So MANY freaking idiots ... so FEW comets sharing the same orbit as Earth.

I'm not even sorry for being this cynical because this is one of the many, many reasons this country is such a mess. Everyone wants to control what other people can/can't do, everyone wants the gubmint to be in charge, and no one seems to realize that the only thing the gubmint is passably capable of doing is collecting tax money to waste. It doesn't get spent on what is necessary. It doesn't get spent to pay off our debt. Our military is underfunded/the money is wasted, and our bridges are falling down. Lazy/selfish people get fed while our elderly go hungry ... and some people can't be bothered with anything except the foreskin on someone elses' child.

Really ... where is that comet?!?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't believe in this practice myself, my two sons are not circumsized. I don't believe there should be a law making it illegal it however. I elected not to do this to my children based on the data I had and my personal feelings about the practice, but wouldn't dream of making that choice for every mother and father considering having it done to their son.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

***

LOL...you mean like THIS ONE?!

"Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program"

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75198

Yay, Obama!! NOT!

P.S.  Will it now be illegal for Jewish people to have the ceremonial Briss?!  Maybe not...since it's a ceremony performed by both Jews AND Muslims.  

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Personally, I think this is a stupid idea..but it is SF and they pretty much wrote the book on stupidity.

And re-electing Princess Pelosi is proof of that year after year!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• "Why do so many people not realize the US is the ONLY country left that does circumcision for no reason but the whim of the parents? "

With all due respect, I don't really give a rat's ass what other countries do. I just don't want the government in my life's decisions... at all. The government can recommend things all they want, they should recommend that we don't circumcise our children. I just don't see why we need all these laws telling us how to make decisions for ourselves and our kids. I just don't think that's what our country is all about. Why do we need to make a law telling us what decisions to make? Guidelines and recommendations from the government are tolerable, but making things like this a law seems stupid to me.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2011