Fondant?

Anyone ever made it? Is it hard?

And I need ideas for some cupcakes...my DH co-worker is leaving, and I was volunteered to make cupcakes.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Buy it premade at a bakery supply store. Even expensive bakeries buy it from someone else.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'm old school and would rather make it.
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's a PITA to make and hard to make turn out correctly. I'd buy it if I were you.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's SUPER easy to make!!! I make marshmallow fondant all the time. I'll try and find my recipe and post it for you.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
    1/4 cup cold water
    1/2 glucose or white corn syrup
    1 tbsp. glycerin
    1 tsp. flavoring- clear extracts won't give color, like clear vanilla extract. Look in the baking section of walmart!
    2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar

SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 3:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 1 16 oz package of mini marshmallows

1 2 lb bag of powdered sugar

2 Tbsp water

1 tsp clear flavoring (optional)

Shortening (to keep the fondant from sticking to everything)

Coat a large bowl with shortening and put all of the marshmallows in it. Add the water and any flavoring you want.

Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir with a shortening coated spoon. Repeat in 30 second intervals till it's all melted and stirs easily.

If you have a stand mixer, use the dough hook and put 1/2 the powdered sugar in. Make sure the hook is greased. If you don't have one, then use a large bowl and a greased spoon. Mix all of the marshmallow mixture into the sugar. Then add about 1/2 of what's left of the powdered sugar.

Cont....
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Once that's all stirred as much as possible, put a thin layer shortening on your counter and coat it with plenty of powdered sugar. Then coat your hands with shortening, and knead the dough till it turns into playdough consistency. If you want to color it, use food coloring gel or paste.

It is really easy to make, it's just a pain to clean up afterwards.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Y'all are AWESOME!
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 1. Combine gelatin & cold water in double boiler and let stand until softened, about 5 mins. heat until dissolved and clear.
    2.Remove from heat and add the glucose, glycerin and flavor. mix well.
    3.Place 1 1/2 pounds confectioner's sugar in bowl and make a well. slowly pour gelatin mixture into the welland mix until sugar is blended. 4.Use a rubber spatula to scrape down sides of bowl and remove the sticky fondant to a clean work surface. Knead in remaining 1/2 pound confectioner's sugar a little at a time until the fondant is smooth pliable and does not stick to you hands. 5.Roll the fondant into a smooth ball & wrap in [plastic. Place in an airtight container in a cool, dry palce to set over night. Do not refrigerate or freeze. When ready to use knead again until soft. If fondant is too soft add more sugar, it too stiff add water -a scant drop at a time.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 3:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If you havent done fondant before...you might want to try something else until you get some practice under your belt. Sometimes it can come out too gummy or chewy...then its not that great. Good luck to you though !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011