Diet after baby

I have been really good about my eating/exercise during this pregnancy. I'm 28 weeks and I've gained about 10 lbs so far....hoping to keep it under 25 by the time I deliver. I know that it's not all going to come off at the delivery, so realistically, if I'm bf-ing, how many calories should I be consuming per day post-partum in order to take the extra weight off? Should I go back to my daily caloric intake prior to getting pregnant? (I was a healthy weight/bmi)

Molly4630

Asked by Molly4630 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I think they say eat 2,300 calories while your breast feeding. Breast feeding alone will make you lose weight.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Bfing will help for sure but keep up your routine of eating and exercise up and it will come off. Remember 9 months to put on 9 months at least to take it off.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I say go back to your prior diet, and keep yourself active. Get walking once you have your doc's clearance. Do some exercises at home. If your eating plan worked before, it will likely be adequate for once you have the baby. Give your body some time to adjust and heal, and don't expect too much too fast. Remember that most of that weight is amniotic fluid, placenta, and baby, all of which come out with delivery! You shouldn't have a ton to lose if you gain 25 lbs or less.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I was told to INCREASE my calories by 400 AFTER the baby was born to ensure I was producing enough milk. And this is on top of the increase of calories needed during pregnancy....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2011