What were/are your thoughts on naming your boy Jr. ??

I refused!!!! I didn't even want to talk about it. His name is Scott. His family still calls him Scotty and he's almost 30. When I explained to them that I wasn't having a kid called "Little Scotty" all his life, they agreed with me and he finally let it go. I can see if it's a name that can be changed and still sound like an adult name. My brother in law is a Gerald 3rd. Everyone calls him and his dad Jerry. It's so annoying to say Jerry and not have people know which one you mean. They call him "Little Jerry" most of the time. Yup, a 300 pound 41 year old named "Little Jerry." I think kids should have a different names and just take a middle name or something. I just won't do it. I know about 6 Michaels because of that. They all use some variation of Mike, Michael and Mikey. lol

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 3:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Baby Names

• I refuse to make a son of mine a Jr. Thankfully my hubby feels the same. We have a family member that married a Richard Jr...so her hubby is Richard, her FIL is Richard, oh and her dad is Richard.....and she went and named her son Richard. It is the most ridiculous thing trying to talk to any of them because nobody can ever tell which Richard you mean.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• won't do it.
    My son's name is Teondre, his father is Teon. We decided to give him the same initials but I wouldn't do the Jr. thing.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am not in favor of it and thankfully my husband agreed. Juniors always end up with some childish abbreviation of the name or a silly nickname that was cute as a child, not so much as an adult.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My sis in laws son is a jr. and i couldnt stand to name my son jr.
    SmilesLovely

Answer by SmilesLovely at 3:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have a Jr. and I love it. We call him J.J., it was important to me to name all of our kids after family. A great way to start with us was naming our first born after his dad.
    TJFBGMommy

Answer by TJFBGMommy at 3:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My son is named after his dad. but he's the second. i refused to have Jr. too.. so instead of junior..we call him Deuce..
    alicia37863

Answer by alicia37863 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wanted both of my kids to have their own name, not be someone's Junior all their lives.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Our tradition is to name for a deceased loved one/friend, so no Jr. here.

I have a childhood friend whose son is the 2nd instead of Jr. because she didn't want everyone to call him Junior. His dad goes by a common nickname and the child goes by the full name.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Completely agree with you
    Alicia10-2-08

Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't like Jr. names and refuse to ever do it. Thankfully my husband is against it also.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2011