A question for mothers that have or are breastfeeding and working outside the home.

I did try to breastfeed my oldest son when he was born. It did not work very long. I am very determind to breastfeed this baby. my question is i work in a workplace that is not very supportive of helping me succeed with it. I read in a parent magizine about having to pump or feed every three hours to continue to produce milk. is this right? or will going 5-6 hours without feeding or pumping be ok? I also read about a woman that feed and pumpd right before and after work since she was un able to do so during work hours. id love some feed back.

krissyk777

Asked by krissyk777 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• in most states if u work 5 or more hours you are entitled a 15 min PAID break. I worked my schedule of pumping around that. when we hit out busy season I didn't get my break at the normal times my body was used to so I would go 5-6 hours and I didn't really produce for much longer after I let the time lapse.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 3:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• In most cases your body is pretty good at adjusting to your schedule when you're pumping. Personally...i didn't respond very well to the pump and my supply got crappier and crappier while DS started to want a bottle more and more so we were pretty much done by 6 months.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I know I talked to my employer before I came back to work to discuss this. We agreed that I could pump on my breaks. But since I ddin't go back I really can't help you. There is a great breastfeeding group on here. I would try asking those ladies the have a TON of information. Sorry I couldn't be much help.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My employeer didn't work with me, but I didn't need them to. We are a small company with a small bathroom for the 3 ladies that work here(The 40 men have thier own bathroom). I pumped in there. Every 2-3 hours every day.
    They say you could not pump during the day and just nurse when you are with your child, and although I do believe that is true, when I stopped pumping my supply dropped, so I wouldn't have been able to nurse exclusively without pumping.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I returned to work when my son was 7 days old. My breast were still HUGE, well not so much when I got to work, but by the end of the work day they were. Each time I got home from work I would nurse my son and take out a bottle for him to use later when I was at work. I also took out a bottle before work when I was able to and on my days off I tried to pump any extra milk to be used just in case. Your milk production will adapt itself based on the demands. Good luck
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• my biggest issue with pumping in the bathroom is i work in a resturant and the bathroom is a one person for the customers
    krissyk777

Comment by krissyk777 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• WOW there are laws requiring employers to provide a place other than a bathroom to pump!!!!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would pump on your baby's schedule, you can get a note from your doctor, but for a newborn I definitely wouldn't go more than 3 hrs w/o pumping. And good for you for being so determined :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was fortunate to have a private locker room type room to pump and did so every few hours. I worked in a busy office, and there were 6 of us who all had babies within a three month period, but only two of us that were breast feeding still after we came back to work. Since the 2 of us shared duties, we just worked it out between us to cover the reception area so the other one could go pump. Our boss was pretty descent about it and none of the other ladies complained that I know of. The other alternative would be to have someone bring your baby to you so you can nurse on your breaks. That could get a little cumbersome, but different things work for different people! Good luck and I hope you nurse your baby a good long time!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You can get a hand pump or a car adapter and park in the back of the lot if there is not 'good' option. In most states they are required to allow you to not only pump but provide you with a place to do it, even it if it the managers office. Look up these laws for your sate!! Make sure you get what you are entitled to. Read through this here.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011