Chocolate cake filling

I am looking for a recipe to make a custard type chocolate flavored filling for a wedding cake I'm doing next month. The bride would be happy with pudding if it didn't disappear into the cake, so she's not picky. It just can't be frosting, and can't disappear. I used to buy chocolate Bavarian cream, but the store I bout it from went under.

Any ideas?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Why not spread a thin layer of ganache over the cake before putting on the pudding so it can't soak in?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I didn't even think about that. Have you made it? I've never tried to make it or buy it before.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I haven't made it but you can get it in a tube in the frosting and cake mix aisle at the grocery store now.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've used this one a few times - banana with chocolate, vanilla, white chocolate with devil's food cake...anyway, depending exactly how thick you want it you can use either a half-pint or whole pint of heavy whipping cream (I prefer the whole pint) - pour it in a glass bowl. Have your mixer ready! Pour in a small (4-serving size) box of pudding, and beat til it's thick - it won't take long which is why you need to be ready, so you don't get lumps. I've even folded fruit into the lighter colored puddings for an extra-special filling (raspberries in white chocolate pudding to fill lemon cake, or strawberries in cheesecake pudding in strawberry cake). I also use this as a cupcake filler.
    Anonymous

• I think the ganache would work.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• good ideas
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011