Spitting

Lately, my 20 month old son has decided the best way to tell me he is done eating is to start spitting the food out. He used to say "Done" and hand me his cup. How do I get this to stop? I have reminded him "Tell Mama when you are done." I have reprimanded the action "Don't spit your food. That's icky." Nothing seems to make a dent. Any suggestions?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe serve him less food.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My daughter does this when she decides to put to much in her mouth. There's not much you can do, but to continue to tell him not to do it. I would give less food at a sitting, and if he's feeding himself pay attention there's usually signs that he's gettin full. I would also consider letting him sit there for a minute after he's spit without saying anything to him until he says done. He's probably trying to get attention, he is at that age. Good-luck
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 3:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• When he spits remove him from his chair and place him in his crib for a minute and tell him no spitting. Then don't let him return to the table.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011