Volkswagen "Crayon" Smell...

Hi Ladies, I have a 2002 VW Jetta and have noticed the last couple years that my car smells of burnt crayons. The smell seems to be getting a million times stronger and now its getting to the point where I am beginning to get headaches while I drive. Anyone else experience something similar to this? I have read quite a bit online and I see I am not the only one. What did you do to get your problems fixed? I have asked my dealership countless times but I keep getting blown off. Any advice?

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Travel

• I had an '01 Beetle and it was the same. And the smell stuck to me! Like if you go into Starbucks. I never got rid of it; not even with air freshener. We finally got rid of the car a few months ago. Sorry I have no cure for you; but if you ever figure it out, I'd be curious to hear what it is!
    lauriep219

Answer by lauriep219 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• hmm. i have an 08 jetta and have never noticed it. when was the last time you got your air filter changed and a decent tuneup? the tuneup on my car would cost $500 to get the full deal.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yep, it is the heat and the age of the car.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:33 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I have had both fairly recently. I have read that in earlier models, it is the plastic on the dash that is causing the smell when it gets really hot out. Living in Arizona thats everyday. The smell is just unbearable and literately from rolling down my window you can smell it! There is not a strong enough air freshener in the world for it lol
    TsMommy428

Comment by TsMommy428 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011