Do COMPLIMENTS get a person to like you better?

My mil doesnt like me. so every time i see her im trying to compliment her in hopes maybe this might make her like me???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• Well..Ask yourself how you feel about a person that compliments you. I like people more when they compliment me,lol..I think they are nice and I like nice people.I always try to give compliments to people..just try not to over do it and be genuine about it...they will know if you really don't mean it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Probably not. She knows you know that she dislikes you, and your comments are going to seem fake to her. Like you're trying hard to get her to like you.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yeah i agree with kimberly just make sure they are not overbearing and don't seem fake
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• only if they are real compliments. otherwise you're just brown nosing and she will like you even less. it is always good to be sweet and kind (not act, really be that way). she will come around eventually. like my mother said....kill them with kindness.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If I think I merited a compliment and it seems to come from a sincere place, I think the person who gives me the compliment is nice for noticing. I don't base a belief on whether or not they are likable on that however. If a person is very complimentary on just anything, I am suspicious as to what they are after. I realize some people do that so they can become your friend, but it's a desperate act and kind of a turn off.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think so. As long as they are genuine. And good for you for making an effort to get your MIL to like you. Your life and marriage will be so much better if you can have a good relationship with her.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Not if they aren't sincere. I have a friend who compliments me every time I see her. She ALWAYS tell me how pretty I look- even when I look like shit- I find it rather annoying.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• iM not brown nosing. my mil is very attractive. so my last compliment was email saying she looked stunning at my SIL wedding . Which she did.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Chances are, if she doesn't like you, no matter how sincere you sound, she will take it that you are just brown nosing and trying to get her to like you. I know for me, if I truly disliked someone, and they gave me a compliment, I'd wonder what the heck they wanted and why they were even trying to talk to me.

Do you have any idea WHY she doesn't like you?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Only if they come from the heart and they are genuine.

Answer by older at 3:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011