Has anyone ever tried the "your baby can read" stuff?

I'm very curious to see if it works or not. My kids are autistic so why don't they have something for challenged kids? haha I was just wondering.....

alicia37863

Asked by alicia37863 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• It has been proven to be a load of crap.
    Anonymous

• I don't know...someone told me they bought it and it is great.

Why can't you just make flash cards and try it that way? It'll save you a lot of money.
    I think it's close to $300.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• thats what i was thinking. that's all they are..
    alicia37863

Comment by alicia37863 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• http://www.classaction.org/your-baby-can-read.html
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 3:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was thinking about getting it but I've read that it doesnt work....not spending my money on something that's not going to work lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've had 3 children and non of them needed to know how to read as a baby. I mean seriously, does a babies time need to be taken up learning how to read? They already have so much on their plate as it is. They have to learn to balance so they can sit up and walk, they have to learn to feed themselves and use the toilet. They need to learn so much that being in their face with flash cards is silly. When the child is around 3 they can begin to learn this stuff. It's not like preschool has a reading list.
    The program is sold mostly to overzealous parents and idiots who want to stroke their overweening egos by having a reading baby. .. and most of the time the program does not work.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The program requires that you spend an HOUR every day with your child. The hour is broken up into two 30 minute sessions. Can you devote an hour to your child every day just to work on reading skills. You may want to try other things like HOP (hooked on phonics), Teach your child to read in 100 easy lesson, or other phonic base programs that can be borrowed from your local library.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Babies are NOT capable of reading. This program teaches rote memorization which is NOT reading. Reading involves more then just spewing back words or phrases. Reading includes comprehension. There is no necessary need to push a baby like that. Children can learn while doing every day, free, fun things. One of my kids loved to look at the grocery ads every week with me. I would point to things & ask her what is this? what is that? Pretty soon she not only began to recognize the pictures of items but the names beside them. So then we'd got to the store & she would say "Look mommy! That's hamburger helper!" or "Those are lobsters!". In short, its a waste of money. There are cheaper (free) & more fun ways to help a child learn.
    Anonymous

• You know, that sounds like a question for the manufacturer of the product. My grandaughter is hearing impaired and my daughter found Signing Time DVD's when she was just an infant, plus was able to get her into speech therapy at a very young age. Check with your Pediatrician for resources or do some Googling to see what's out there. Autistic children are usually very intelligent - their minds just work differently than ours. Filling your house with fun books for your children, getting professionally prepared learning materials for them and just enjoying them, playing with them, teaching them at their personal levels will mean more to them developementally and the rewards will last a lifetime!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Research it and find out b4 you waste your money hun=)
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 7:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011