• In the Spotlight:

Help with pregnant lab...

We know that our lab was pregnant...took her to the vet and he confirmed it and said that it felt like a large litter to him. We are unsure about the due date but thought she would deliver around thanksgiving. My husband said that she had milk coming out of her back 2 teats about a week and a half ago and he thought she was going to have them then but ....no puppies yet. When she laid on her side you could see her stomach move but this last week she doesn't even look pregnant anymore. She hasn't been out of my site long enough to have the puppies out of the house but I don't know what my husband has done. Her last litter it took her several hours to have them all so I don't think that's a possibility. What do I do? Do i wait a little longer in case my dates are off or do i try to take her to the vet now and check to see if she is still pregnant? Thanks

lorihadams

Asked by lorihadams at 3:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pets

• Oh, btw we did breed her with our black lab, no relation we wouldn't do that. She was in his pen the entire heat cycle. Forgot to say that...I don't think it was a false pregnancy but the vet said that she was pregnant. I don't know what to do.
    lorihadams

Answer by lorihadams at 3:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Surley you want to know. So I would take her to the vet to get a ck up and see what the ultrasound says. Then you will know for sure one way or the other. Good luck, hope it all works out for you soon.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Take her to the vet to make sure!
    JathonsMomma18

Answer by JathonsMomma18 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My mom used to breed dogs, and I doubt that your dog had them outside w/out you knowing. She wouldn't be content to be away from her puppies if she had them outside. She would have also come in the house with a wet/bloody mess on her behind.
    Dogs also discharge for several days after having puppies.
    When dogs come withing a few days of having pups, the pups move down from her ribs and into her pelvic area. The pups may have just moved. Dogs can also start lactating several weeks before the pups are even born (just like humans).
    Dogs pregnancy last for 63 days, so if you know when she was bred this may help you.
    You can always take her to the vet if you are unsure.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous