2 vessel cord

I am 30wks pregnant and will be going to hospital every week until delivery for an ultrasound and non stress test and they have 2 vessel cord on the paper and IUGR and Im curious as to whether these are something I should be worrying about?? I already see a specialist because of my age (41) and he has said things look fine except shes a little underweight at this point...I dont want to worry if its not necessary but at the same time these hormones are making me think all kinds of things...help!!

michellesgirls2

Asked by michellesgirls2 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had that with my daughter, though I'm not sure about her cord since they never got a good look at it. What that means is basically for whatever reason either the placenta or the cord are not supplying enough nutrients to your baby for her to grow at a good rate. They are testing her heart rate, movement and reactions to stress plus they'll be keeping an eye on your fluid levels. My daughter was born at 39 weeks and was healthy and strong, 6lbs 6oz. So, they are just being cautious, but be aware that it could mean a few things for your baby when she's born. She might need help breathing, eating and she might need a stay in the NICU. What they will probably do is continue to measure her growth, the fluids and her overall health as best they can and keep her inside you until it is doing more harm than good. Basically if they weren't monitoring you and she stayed in the full 40 weeks she could starve to death inside you.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Since you're getting such great care though, I wouldn't worry. They might pick up your NSTs closer to your due date and they will probably induce you before 40 weeks. Good luck mama! I know how scary that can be! Just remember one VERY important thing. Stay informed about how your baby is doing and how comfortable your doctors are with your daughter's growth and progress. The longer she can stay inside, the better, but you want to make sure her lungs are mature before they induce. She will be absolutely FINE because the docs are doing a great job at helping you out. No worries mama! (I know that's hard.) Message me if you want more advice or just to talk.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 2 vessel cord means your cord is missing a vessel. Healthy umbilical cords should have 3 vessels supplying nutrients to the baby. IUGR stands for Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/two-vessel-cord.aspx
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• thanks for you advice and it helps a bunch I will try not to worry but it will be hard and believe me I will be asking all kinds of questions from now on at the docs office
    michellesgirls2

Comment by michellesgirls2 (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011