How secure are police officers guns?

My kids got "pulled over" and were issued tickets last night from a police officer on patrol for wearing their bike helmets. My daughter (4 1/2) was a little freaked out at 1st until the officer showed her the free ice cream sundae voucher on the bottom. She then started bouncing hysterically and gave him a crazy bear hug and her arms went all around his gear. I got dizzy and thought I might vomit. Do they ever forget to put the safety back on or is it pretty much 2nd nature to them?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• lol, I think it's nice.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hubby is a cop. There is no way the gun can go off from a hug from a 4 year old.
    Anonymous

• They usually don't have a round in the chamber & the safety is on. You can't pull the trigger while it's holstered either.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have many family and friends in law enforcement. Most law enforcement are not only very, very professional, but also very safety minded too. I can visualize myself feeling the same as you at that instant, though. It's one of those trust issues. You are the Mom who has to always be on her guard to protect your innocent and helpless little ones. Keep questioning those types of things - it may save someone's life some day, but keep unrealistic fears out of the mix.
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 3:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• can you tell I have never owned a gun, held a gun, etc? lol...
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011