Starting Preschool

I am wanting to put my daughter in Preschool when she turns three, but i am worried that they wont accept her because she still doesn't talk using a lot of words. She has a lot or words in her vocabulary but she jabbers a lot going really fast. Her docftor recommended us to Early childhood Intervention which is suppose to work with them till they are 3.I met with them and they are going to do an evaluation to see if she qualifies but said they will probalby only get to meet with her two times between now and her birthday in July because it takes so long to get things rolling with them So i am not looking for much help there. And headstart wouldn't accept her saying we make too much. Any ideas on where to go from here. Our town only has two day schools and they both have waiting lists.

jaceyrayesmom

Asked by jaceyrayesmom at 3:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would have her evaluated because if she needs extra help with speech that will follow through with her into preschool. Although the process is long and they may only see her once or twice I would still go through with it. Remember you are the best advocate for your child and if you feel she needs the help get it for her. Don't take no for an answer. I know our public preschool system helps children that need it. I am not sure if you send her to a private school if they will help as much although it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• well i have a child with the same problem and he did go through early on and it doesnt stop like when they turn three they turn the services into something different now they put my 3 yr old with an actual speech therapists so i would still do it and they can give your child an iep which then you might be able to get him into headstart due to special needs if you need to talk get hold of me
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011