Do you agree?

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe." – Steven Chu

Obama's energy secretary

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I happen to have one of those gas hogs and need it to get to work from the farm that I live on. The winters are horrible and I'd end up in the ditch more times then not without it. 4 wheel drive is pretty necessary. My husband also has one but has to drive it to haul everything to work. Then there's my dad's farm truck that anything smaller would be totally laughable.

Then you have the gas hog tractors that grow our food. Gas hog semi's that deliver that food. Yep all those people can do with something smaller. Let's tell the farmers to get their lawn tractors out to till and harvest a 1000 acre farm. The semi drivers will need to switch to the VW Beetles to do their deliverys.

I can see encouraging people to drive the vehicle that gets the best gas mileage that fits their occupation but to try and drive the gas up and hurt everyone with higher prices is not right.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You can't bully people into having enough money to afford one of these wonder cars. Common sense people!

Beatlenutmommy

Answer by Beatlenutmommy at 4:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My husband and I both own our cars. We cant afford any form of a car payment. Not only would we have a payment, but also have to pay for full coverage. We dont qualify for any form of state aid, we are one of those families on the line so to speak. So although my husband and I would truly LOVE to get a new car with better gas mileage we simply cannot go out back and pluck money from an imaginary money tree to pay for it.

Answer by gemgem at 4:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We don't like sweeping generalizations either.

***
    Except when dishing them out at conservatives!! :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• And why would we want to do that? We've got some real bright bulbs in Washington these days, don't we?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 15 years huh? There's more to it, it's going to take a lot to get this country to that point. And, what about homes where both parents work? There are many variables. It's a good theory, and maybe it would work. But I don't see it. People here are way too spoiled. And trying to force people here to buy more fuel efficient cars won't work. Trying to force people here to sell their houses to move closer to where they work won't work. What about when they get laid off? Then what? I don't think that forcing individuals to make all the changes is the correct way to go about it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Every time I hear comparisons like this I shake my head at the stupidity..this country isn't a couple hundred miles from shore to shore...it is a few thousand miles across. Higher fuel costs and smaller vehicles will only hurt consumers. At this rate the middle class will be gone pretty fast.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• And sure, sell your house at a 40 to 50% loss, we all can do that, just so we can live closer to our place of employment. What planet are these people on?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• WTF?!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No I DONT agree.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011