How can I get my 4 month old to sleep through the night?

I have never had any issues with my children sleeping through the night. Both of my older girls were sleeping 8-10 hours at a time before 6 weeks! My 4 month old sleeps maybe 4 hours at a time during the night and even less during the day! Originally I thought it was just the breast milk being digested too quickly, but I've tried adding cereal to her diet and using formula and cereal in a bottle before bed but nothing works. She is very gassy and is difficult to burp on good days. She is consistently constipated and only has a bowel movement every 3-4 days. The oddest thing is the doc says this is how a lot of babies are and not to worry about it. He did advise me to use a new formula made for sensitive stomachs, but that doesn't seem to be helping either. Any advice?

Vol.Mom.In.FL

Asked by Vol.Mom.In.FL at 3:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe you were lucky before,... MANY babies don't sleep through the night even that first year at all. !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• #1 Babies are not supposed to sleep all night.

#2 4 month olds don't need anything except milk.

#3 Food is not the answer, she is gassy and constipated because cereal is Hella hard on their stomachs and hard to digest.

#4 Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yeah maxsmom11807 is right
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Most babies that age don't sleep through the night. My kids were over a year!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• #5 hours only is considered sleeping through the night.

#6 Breastmilk digest quickly because it is supposed to. Even with formula, you are supposed to only feed small amounts often.

#7 She is a tiny baby and doesn't know it's night. I as an adult don't sleep like a rock all night long. I wake up to roll over, to pee and when I hear something.

#8 You don't get to stop parenting just because it's dark outside.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• A BM every 5 days is perfectly normal. My kids were like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You wrere lucky before.....not one of my 4 children slept through the night until at least one year! Sorry i dont have any advice for you. I think 4 months old is a little too young to be sleeping through the night. Maybe by 6 months, but before then babies usually need to eat every 3 to 4 hours.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• BradenIsMySon you seem a little pissed!!! Anyway Zeena was sort of sleeping threw the night @ 4 months. She sort of cried out & I would feed her but her eyes were closed like she was sleeping.
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 4:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Well, cereal in the bottle, shocked to learn babies don't sleep all night and feeding a 4 month old to get her to sleep all night when she is in fact sleeping like she should...and this is her 3rd. I get a little emotional.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Maybe I should clarify some things before this woman has a stroke or something!

#1 I'm out of sorts since I've never had issues with my children sleeping. Sorry for being inexperienced in that field. Guess I was just lucky.

#2 Not only should you start your 4 month old on cereal, but starting on fruits and vegetables later than 4 months increases risk of allergies to food.

#3 She's been gassy and constipated SINCE BIRTH!

#4 Was advised BY THE DOCTOR to add 1 tbsp of cereal to 6 oz of formula or breast milk.

#5 I'd be happy with 5 hours a night!

#6 I understand breast milk digests quickly, which is why THE DOCTOR told me to ADD CEREAL at night.

#7 She doesn't sleep well - EVER. Day OR night.

#8 I don't believe I EVER said I wanted to stop parenting my child, I just would like SOME sleep.

BradenIsMySon - Maybe next time you should ask questions before ASSUMING - Yo
    Vol.Mom.In.FL

Comment by Vol.Mom.In.FL (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011