If you do not adhere to the law, are you in a position to speak against others?

Romans 2:18-23

"18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?"

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 3:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I dont think we should speak against others even if we do adhere to the law.
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• by law are you specifically speaking about the laws for equality and separation of church and state laws?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think there's more than just knowing 'the law' or the sayings. You should live up to them if you think they are true. But, I don't think people should just judge others and focus on everyone else's faults without looking to themselves as well.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• cont'd

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.~ Matthew 7:3-5

"It is easy to see the faults of others but it is hard to see one’s own. While winnowing others faults like chaff we hide our own like a hunter concealing himself in a hide. Those who look to others faults only get irritable. Their negativities grow and are far from being destroyed."~Buddha Dp.252-3
    pam19

• You mean the adulterous ministers and such? I'll read up on the chapter tonight and give you a more elaborate answer. Maybe.
    daps

Answer by daps at 4:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• There is a big difference between knowing the commands of God and living the commands of God. It's easy to do the first and much harder to do the latter. For that reason, I do feel it's better just to focus on what you yourself should be doing better at, even though it's so stinkin tempting at times to want to pick others apart lol. Now, excuse me while I try to pry the plank from my eye.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• God never said for us to pick at each other , He said for us to uplift one another... in so doing both find freedom.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• So this refers to the Christian law? I am Buddhist so find the question a little offensive. I like the poster who referenced Matthew and Buddha, both quotes of which refer to not judging others. I believe in being discerning in my moral choices but non judgmental of other humans.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 11:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Those who it was directed toward understood the point :) You would too if you read the second chapter of romans.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Is this the throwing stones in a glass house verse?
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2011