Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get my dh and family to support my decision to try VBAC?

I need my dh and moms support. I have had post-partum, and bonding issues and I blame it on my c-section. Now I want a vbac the 2nd time around. How can I get them to be supportive?

Answer Question

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Relationships

Level 11 (536 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I think its always easy to "blame" I had PPD and bonding issues and wanted to blame the epidural or the fact I was induced from my gestational Diabetes but I have talked to many mothers now who have had similar issues without being induced or having an Epidural.. I think it just happens sometimes for no reason at all -
    Would you be doing this anyway without their support ?
    I wish you the best of luck, I am sure its a very hard decision.

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • In the end its your body. If you want a vaginal birth,it has to be your decision. If your OB thinks you can do it,then go for it!

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • They should support you regardless.

    I say find all the info on how much safer VBAC is and show them.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I had PPD after both of my vagina births...I'm not sure it will help hun but definitely worth a try if it's what you want to do. Have you explained to them how important this is to you? That should be enough for them. Maybe you could email them some of the research out there about VBACs and see if that helps. I wish you all the best! xo

    Answer by MommyH2 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • i doubt it was the c section that cause it.. it was more the hormonal imbalance. which is something you need to discuss with your doctor. HOWEVER.. a VBAC is still the better option to go unless there are complications near the end that demand a c-section. research VBAC and show them the medical benefits of trying to go VBAC imstead is a better persuasion.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I can't imagine why they wouldn't support your choice... I guess best thing to do would be to talk to your ob and get their opinion on whether or not it would be a wise idea for you to try for a VBAC, in *most* cases it is a good option, then invite your DH and mom to an appointment so they that they can voice their concerns and get valid answers and hopefully ease their minds allowing them to be more supportive.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 4:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Having a c-section can deny your body's natural release of oxytocin (the cuddle hormone which in large amounts becomes the parenting hormone).

    You should simply provide them with information. Lots of it. The more you are informed and sure about your decision the more confidence others will have in you! Good luck mama!

    Answer by meandrphoto at 4:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Just tell them.

    Answer by MyMyOhMy at 11:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.