Toddler's Chipping a tooth?

My 2 year DD has a chipped tooth. I just noticed it the other day when we were shopping. I have no clue how or when it happened. Should I worry about it? Should I take her to the Dentist?

gwismommy

Asked by gwismommy at 4:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take her to the dentist so they can look and decide if it is something more than just a toddler who chipped it. My DD had bottle rott and her teeth looked just fine in front but were damaged to hell and back in the back of them.
    Anonymous

• Yes, she needs to see a dentist. My grandson's teeth started chipping, no one knew why. My daughter took him to the dentist and he had to have all of his front teeth removed and the back ones capped because his teeth were too week, too many pores or something. If you can catch it early, they can do something to prevent the loss of the teeth.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 4:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• YES take her to the dentist. My 2yr old chipped his tooth when he fell and the dentsit had to fix it. It could get decay if it is not fixed.
    Anonymous

• Thanks.
    gwismommy

Comment by gwismommy (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My son chipped a tooth just after his 1st birthday. I had a peds appt the next morning so I asked them. They said a dentist would know best. Took him to the dentist about a week after that and they decided it was a minor chip and not to worry, but to watch and see if he has any sensitivity there or if he avoids biting. He doesn't and he's fine. I agree take him in, but just be aware that kids can chip teeth playing around (my son did it on a playground toy) and you may not even know that it happened until you see the damage.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My son chipped both his front teeth about 3 weeks ago, scared the crap out of me for sure. Initially it hurt, but after he calmed down he showed no signs of discomfort and he was eating and drinking just fine, but the next morning I took him to the dentist just to make sure there wasn't any permanent issues or problems with nerves. Better safe than sorry for sure! And everything checked out fine :) Good luck Momma!
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 5:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011