What is to be gained from memorizing bible verses?

I have never understood.

(Inspired by this question.) 

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's like the kids in the Your Baby Can Read commercials. They can memorize sounds to go with things they see, but they don't have the first clue what they're saying.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• being able to quote them back and remember them for comfort later.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It gives the children a starting point for learning... Dont we memorize the alphabet, site words, numbers, rhyming words. It is just a jumping off point for learning! I am the poster of that question you were "inspired" by.
    Anonymous

• For me personally, it's so I can use God's words to lift me up & make me feel better when I'm having a rough day or going through a tough time. It helps me feel & stay more positive:)
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• When my kids were small they went to a Christian School, and they were made to memorize a lot of them, I think they think it instill good morals and compassion.

Answer by older at 4:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• its another form of teaching. So when a time of trial comes or a time to encourage someone its there kind of like sayins your mom would say if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. a bible verse has power to strengthen you and lift you up.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 4:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Bible verses usually have moral values. When you memorize them, you learn them and part of that is to understand the meaning and hopefully this will help the child to know what is morally right. Too many young people today have no moral training or understanding between right and wrong.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• well...why do we memorize anything? in 8th grade i had to memorize the Preamble to the Constitution...and i still know it to this day & for what? most Bible verses worth memorizing have some real life application to them. ive memorized a lot of useless trivial things in my life but the Bible verses i remember have actually helped me from time to time (most of those however are not the ones i was told to memorize for Sunday school tho).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It depends on the person.
    I think that some people feel closer to god when they memorize bible verses because they don't have to go through another person to reach him the way you do in some traditional masses.
    Other people are probably just trying to sound smart and some may even be playing "holier than thou".

Hopefully most of them fall under the first catagory ;)

Beatlenutmommy

Answer by Beatlenutmommy at 4:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I saw that question too. Well, if the child can recite the scripture word for word and does not know what it means, it doesn't benefit the lil nipper one bit. But, if the child can read a verse and understand what it's saying, though he/she can't remember it word for word, but knows the lesson behind it... then the child profits from the scripture.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 4:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011