How do i know whan my son is able to start eating baby foods?

my son is 4 1/2 months old. he is sitting up and holding his head high. he has also started sticking out his tongue. what signs should i look for? my dr said that i shouldnt start feeding him until 6 months but i think he is ready. what should i do?

Skylersmommi124

Asked by Skylersmommi124 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When they start sitting up and also, try baby cereal at first. It sounds likes he is already ready. All my babies tried baby cereal before 6 months.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I cant remember when i started but it might be too harsh on his stomach yet
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• He is showing all the signs that he is ready.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• A child's gut is usually not ready to properly digest food until AT LEAST 6 months old. The common "signs" for readiness are created basically because children are fed too early, so they had to come up with minimums. I highly recommend going the baby-led weaning approach. It can be used on both breastfed and formula fed babies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby-led_weaning
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Pediatricians seem to be telling everyone that they shouldn't have anything but formula or breast milk for the first six months. With my daughter I waited the whole time, but my son is acting like he is ready at three and a half months. My Mom had us on rice cereal after 3 weeks and we all turned out ok. I think every baby is different and you should follow your instincts.
    Beatlenutmommy

Answer by Beatlenutmommy at 4:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I Agree with "MotherofIreland".

Those signs are reflexes. Milestones are different. I would wait. Until at LEAST 6 months old. There is a reason to wait. It isn't to frustrate you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I also want to add. White rice cereal is awful and harsh on their stomachs.
    BradenIsMySon

• 7.5 years ago I was told to introduce solids to my son between 4 and 6 months of age. 4 years ago when my daughter was born I was told no solids until at least 6 months of age.

That being said at her 4 month check up she was sitting up unsupported, was fascinated with table food, had excellent head control, and we'd already given her some small bites of super soft food off our plate. The doctor gave us her blessing to begin introducing solids at 4 months old.

We DID have to be a little careful about what we fed her, she wound up having mild reactions (small rashes at her temples) to most Gerber 1st foods fruits and to the sweet potatoes too. So, we held off on those a bit longer and she has no allergies now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You'll know your baby is ready when they grab food off of your plate, shew it, swallow it, and grab for more!

Don't rush it, there are a lot of benefits of waiting until at least 6 months. the reason why people used to give food at 3 weeks, then they said 4-6 months, now they say 6 months is based on research. Sure, some kids do fine starting that young, but you don't know if your child will be one of those who is adversely affected by starting too early until it is too late. I say wait until at least 6 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011