To all mommies - especially business owners:

In my seemingly never-ending quest to find a job I actually care about, my mom suggested I start a business going around and cleaning kids toys in professional offices like the doctors, dentists, chiropractors, etc. Mommies who are business owners and have toys in their offices: Would this be a service you would want available to your business? What would you pay to have this service? Mommies who aren't business owners: Would you feel more comfortable with your kiddos playing with toys that are knowingly professionally cleaned and sanitized with safe, non-chemical cleaners? (I'd provide a plaque to my customers to mount in their waiting area stating that the toys are cleaned by a business on a daily basis.) Do you think this would be a business worth starting up? I'm in an area where there are plenty of offices containing toys for waiting kids, so there wouldn't be any problem locating anyone...I'm simply wondering if this would be something I should definately put my time into.

RachelleM1986

Asked by RachelleM1986 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think daycares would definitely benefit from this. Alot of the offices in my area have small areas with few toys for the children to play with so I would think they'd save their money and have staff do it. I've also never worked in a doctor's office so I have no idea if they are ever slow enough to have time to do that. I think it's a great idea but with the economy slumping, people are pinching pennies wherever they can. I hope you find customers though! GL
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I seriously think it's an excellent idea. As a mom, I'd be thrilled to know that the toys and play area were cleaned in whatever business my kids and I go to. Especially doctor office waiting area's, I won%
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree daycares or maybe even kids Dr's
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Maybe even nurseries in churches?????
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 5:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Honestly, I've never seen any offices with toys. But even if I did it wouldn't matter, we always take their games with us because I don't want them on the floor or out of their seats at all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It won't be the deciding factor if I am taking my children to a particular doctor or not. The other moms have the better idea, schools or daycare, what cleaning products they use would have made a difference when i first picked the school for my first child. Second one, I am too tired to notice. You know what I would actually pay for? Laundry service, ready-made healthy dinner delivered to the door, cleaning service. (which exist in cities, but not in the suburbs). Professional working moms will pay high premium for those services.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• As someone who worked in a pre-k setting they train their staff how to do this so its a great idea but im not sure how many would sign on..simply b/c for us it was part of the job
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it sounds like a great idea. Many ideas are born this way and the only way to try it is to ask at an office or put a sign up, what do you have to lose? I know many day cares must clean their toys/equpment by law, however the dr office, or other office, services waiting rooms may not have these requirements, but need it. Good luck, let me know how it goes.
    GrabThePopcorn

Answer by GrabThePopcorn at 11:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You know, I never thought of nurseries or daycares! Great ideas! Thank you all for your input, advice and support, I agree with GrabThePopcorn, I don't have anything to lose and the only way I'll find out if it would be successful is to ask an office. Thank you all again, I feel much more confident about this!!!
    RachelleM1986

Comment by RachelleM1986 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think it's something you would have to test and see if it works or not. I know I'm thrilled to see someone ask about it because I often wonder how often, if ever, toys in public businesses get cleaned.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2011