While we all blame Greedy oil companies

Obama gets a free pass?

The average price for a gallon of unleaded gasoline hit $3.86 on April 25, more than $1-a-gallon higher than a year earlier and less than 25 cents away from the record high price of gasoline set in July 2008.

In fact, per gallon prices are more than $2 higher than when Obama took office Jan. 20, 2009. Yet the president has been nearly exempt from criticism on the issue of rising prices, despite a six-month drilling moratorium and more regulatory hurdles for industry.

The Business & Media Institute found that out of the 280 oil price stories the network evening shows have aired since the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, only 1 percent (3 stories) mentioned Obama's drilling ban or other anti-oil actions in connection with gasoline prices.

Instead of asking whether Obama's anti-oil policies could be increasing the cost of gas, the networks blamed other factors such as Mideast turmoil or the "money game" played by speculators. Certainly, the turmoil in Libya, Egypt and surrounding nations has increased worries about oil production and can influence the price. But the networks also should have looked for explanations much closer to home, like Obama's many regulatory actions taken against the oil industry.

First there was the drilling ban, which was later overturned by federal courts as illegal. Seahawk Drilling, a Texas-based shallow-water drilling company cited that moratorium as the cause of its bankruptcy filing saying, they "have been adversely affected by the dramatic slowdown in the issuing of shallow-water permits in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico following the Macondo well blowout."

According to The Heritage Foundation, the Obama administration moved on to a de facto moratorium after the ban was overturned. Add to that the EPA's desire to regulate the industry's greenhouse gas emissions and new environmental regulatory hurdles for the Keystone XL pipeline, which would transport crude from Canada to the U.S. and create many American jobs.

Despite all of these actions on the part of the Obama administration, ABC, CBS and NBC evening news shows have barely mentioned them in stories about rising gas prices.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This admin's agenda continues to be played out, right under our noses...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• He may be seeming to get a "pass" because the media isnt reporting people being angry with him, but it doesnt make it a fact. Just about everyone I know blames him for not doing anything to help bring down prices. I remember all the blame Bush got for rising gas prices. I dont see why Obama should be exempt from blame.

Answer by gemgem at 4:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Many things go unreported when it comes to Obama.... this is no different, what are they protecting him from?
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• While I think that the gas companies (not the oil companys) do have some fault in all this (people tend to get the two confused and blame the oil drilling companies along with the gas companies like exxon and shell which aggravates me since I know to many people that work in the oilfield), Obama AND his administration are at a large fault because of there stupidness and the not wanting to drill in the gulf or really anywhere else, but I guess that's what our country gets for voting a liberal in office who spoke about change, but NEVER gave us a true plan of how to make change...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 4:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• ImaginationMama, oil is NOT a necessity. People lived without it for thousands of years and will do so again when it is gone. The only necessities are food, water, air and shelter. Are you suggesting the government steal farms because they grow food, apartment complexes because they house people and such? Utilities are private businesses...do you want Obama to steal the provider for your cell phone?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree with the PP. Bush got all the blame I am not gonna look the other way just because it's Obama.. If i blamed Bush for gas when he was in office you can dang sure bet I blame Obama for gas prices now!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• But he is Obama... Isn't that enough
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• ImaginationMama, are you suggesting Obama STEAL companies owned by thousands of stockholders? Here is a newsflash for you...American business owners aren't in business because they need a hobby...they are in business to MAKE A PROFIT. I know the very concept of taking a risk on something and working your a** off to make it successful is foreign to some of you...that however isn't my problem. I am a business owner...I made the investment..took the risk and worked my butt off..if I succeed I deserve the fruits of my labor.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Carpy, you know Obama never gets any blame. Heck I'm surprised they aren't blaming Bush. I simply cannot believe how many people are possessed by the green eyed monster. It is a shame they spend so much time berrating the successful instead of becoming a success themselves.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The prices that are set and the subsidies are going to American companies. Either Obama or the next pres, whoever that may be, will need to take over, regulate, or do SOMETHING about that. The rising prices are effecting everything and will lead to another dip. Something must be done.

Frankly, I don't care who it is that does it, but we cannot sit and watch this happen. There are many very rich Americans right now, that are riding high on the profits of their companies. It is not right, and DC needs to come together to address this.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011