Why does the government need all this information to give you a passport?

Sounds like it is harder to get out of the country than into it.

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's just a tracker to keep up with what your doing outside the US.
    MyPassionDiva

Answer by MyPassionDiva at 5:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Actually it has nothing to do with what you are doing outside the US
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Well, it's is harder to get in LEGALLY, but once you're here illegally it's no big deal. :sigh: I'm not sure why the government needs to know so much, but they are the governement so don't expect to be able to make sense out of it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• it's just basic info..I don't think it should matter unless someone has something to hide anyway...the government already knows everything about you, so this is just putting it in writing I guess...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Control... keeping tabs... they are making their list!!! :0) I don't get it either.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• WOW.. Estimated burden time 45 minutes? I've moved 13 times in the past 17 years. How am I supposed to remember every address? Why is that necessary if I wanted to take a trip to Paris? Why is where I lived in 1995 even relevant or where I went to elementary school relevant? That seems kind of intrusive and unnecessary. Here's to hoping this proposal never sees the light of day.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• it's just basic info.

LOL You either didn't read over it or you have a very warped sense of basic information. How is where your mother lived one year before and after you were born or if she had had any pre or post natal care relevant to getting a passport? Why would they need to know the dates of her pre and post natal appointments and the Dr she saw? I could go on but I won't
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

Basic info??? Are you frickin kidding me??? I don't know what city my parents were born in, or state, just that it was in the US. I don't remember every single address I lived at while growing up. My dad remarried after my mom died and I have no clue where my stepmother was born. I don't remember the address of every place I've ever worked, and at least one of them is out of business now.

And if those questions are intrusive enough. I was adopted so I have no idea where I was born, what prenatal care was given, etc. Guess I wouldn't qualify for a passport.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 11. Please describe the circumstances of your birth including the names (as well as address and phone number, if available)
    of persons present or in attendance at your birth:

I hope all of you have the address and phone numbers of all the nurses and doctors that were there when you were born.

Why the holy hell do we have to provide this info when our own president has ALL his records, schooling and employment SEALED??
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've applied for a passport both for myself and for my son, and I do NOT recall all of this information being asked for.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011