Husband says we just have to deal with it for a little while....

My inlaws ran into money troubles and had to move onto our property with us. They are living in a camper trailer hooked up to our electricity and we pay the bill. For there water too. His mother keeps the kids during the day at our house. My house is very neat and decorated the way i choose to decorate it. Since they have been keeping the kids there she has changes everything from the way my pictures were hung to the way my kids rooms were arranged. She completely rearranged there furniture and took things from one room and hung it another . She changed all the pictures in the living room, and rearranged my kitchen counters. I specifically put a rug down in front of my bathtub and she moved it infront of the shower (hich we don't use)My husband mentioned to his dad that i didn;t like it and he said he would talk to her but she is still moving things. I also had him say something to her not leaving when i get home from work and staying over until 7 or 8 oclock. When i get home that is my time with ym kids . She needs to leave. For a week she left at a reasonable time but now she is back to not leaving. especially on days my husband is working late. I think she thinks she is helping but she is not and shw wont stop and if i complain she gets mad and says it isn't going to work and not keep the kids. But it is getting really hard to hold my tongue. What would you do?

jaceyrayesmom

Asked by jaceyrayesmom at 5:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You shouldn't have to deal with that at all! It's your house and you're doing them a favor. I would have a family meeting and talk openly about this, be nice but let her know exactly how you feel.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i think YOU should talk to her just let her know that you like things a certain way
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't hold my tounge. It's your house and your rules. Someone else watched your kids before she decided to move into your yard and someone else can watch them again if she can't leave your home the way she found it. My MIL would run all over me if I allowed it (she has) and I have very little patience for that crap anymore. Good luck getting rid of your inlaws (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• hugsI feel your pain mama...I almost wonder if we have the same MIL

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would for one find another babysitter, move everything where you want it once and for all and if she moves anything her husband or yours will probably be more prone to telling her that's not cool. You can't let her have the upper hand in this, you should be respectful equals. If she can't understand that then you will have to just ignore her and do things your way and have her step aside.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thats what happens with two hens in one house. She is trying to assert her authority as the older mom. I had the same situation with my own mom. I took her aside and told her I loved her to death but every time she moved my things it confused me lol. One time she moved the trash can and I went to toss something out and it hit the floor. My mom wasnt "happy" about our convo but she stopped doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 5:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Just be patient soon they will leave just hang in there I mean really what can you do...Maybe in her own motherly way she feels obligated to do some thing bc of the bills let her feel at home for awhile and before you know it you and your dh and kids will be one big happy family again. God bless you!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• WOW... talk about over stepping your boundries when people are helping you out - I would just sit down and talk to her face to face and tell her how you feel.. nicely lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Honesty is the best policy! You need to sit with her one on one and talk to her with the most tact you can muster, and tell her how you feel. Going through messengers will only make her feel like your all talking about her behind her back.
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 5:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• YOU should say something. from personal experiance ive had the same issues. Id have my hubby say something to her but since it was her son i dont think she took it to serious but i bit my tongue to long and when i finally said something it ALL came out and not to nicely but hey it worked. Good luck!!!!!!
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011