i feel really dumb for asking this

what does stripping membranes mean and what does it do? will your doc tell you they are doing i? I feel so silly asking this but this is my first pregnancy and i hear people talking about it bugt don't know what they ae talking about lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Stripping the membranes is where a health care provider will separate your bag of water from the cervix, it is not intended to break your water, however, it may. It may also cause infection, and may be painful for some.
    The reason that we tell people that we are stripping their membranes is to "get things going" in regards to labor. This little technique is usually done during a vaginal exam at the end of pregnancy, with or without the knowledge or consent of the woman.
    Stripping the membranes, we are told, is supposed to stimulate production of prostiglandins in the cervix and bring on contractions. I have heard doctors tell my clients after stripping their membranes they will have the baby in two days. While this may appear to work for some, at term it's all a guessing game. There is no scientific work to date that can back up the routine procedure of stripping membranes
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I googled it
    bizima4

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

• OUCH!
    Anonymous

• i dont see how it could ever be done without someones consent! if my dr did anything to me i didnt know about i'd be freakin pissed!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My sister had her membranes stripped because she was a few days overdue and she was having some complications and they wanted to try to speed things up. She did go into labor within two days, but was in labor for two more days. She knew about it though. They gave her the option of doing it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I had my membranes stripped. My labor started within 4 hours. (Same for my sister) I was in labor for exactly 12 hours. If I had to do it again I wouldn't. It hurt a little, but mostly I don't think my son was really ready to be born. (Not that he wasn't big enough or healthy, I just think he would've been happy with another day or 3.)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2008